Fuel smell in exhaust, any ideas ?

Nyteryda

Nyteryda
Reaction score
I have a 2001 s3 and have recently had a lingering fuel smell around the vehicle whether cold or warm, I have taken a good whiff of exhaust and around where the injectors sit and they both smell of petrol, it doesnt stink but its there. I changed the cts to no avail and my VI Monitor seems to be giving the expected O2 levels althought the 02B1 sensor seems to be reading a little higher than my flatmates S3.. his shows around 0.66 and mine is more like 0.99 if that makes sense..
I have noticed a bit of gunk (fuel deposits ?) around where one of the injectors sits, could this be related ?
My temperature seems to sit around 85c, creeps up to 90c when moving slowly/stopped, again my flatmates reads around 94c and creeps up to 100c when moving slowly or stopped.. readings taken from air-con display with special code..

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated..

To be honest mate, none of that sounds abnormal to me. Maybe it's just the fact that it's cold and the ECU is delivering more fuel due to the denser air...? Gunk around the top of the injector sounds a bit strange, clean it off and see if it reappears.

Is it using a lot more fuel than normal? If not then I really wouldn't worry. Maybe check it with VAG COM.

Mine smells like a petrol station too but i've never noticed anything abnormal as a side effect. I am going to change the fuel filter this weekend though as I think i'm still running the original!!

To be honest mate, none of that sounds abnormal to me. Maybe it's just the fact that it's cold and the ECU is delivering more fuel due to the denser air...? Gunk around the top of the injector sounds a bit strange, clean it off and see if it reappears.

Is it using a lot more fuel than normal? If not then I really wouldn't worry. Maybe check it with VAG COM.

I am getting pretty much 24-25mpg which I was a little concerned about but it seems after doing a bit of reading this is relatively normal.. I also have an intermittant fault which highlights the camshaft position sensor, I have replaced this but the dtc has come back since.. The code said something like advanced setpoint not reached.. Could it be timing ? It seems to drive fine, the only symptom being the fuel smell..

Yeah, could be timing. Have you had the belt done recently? Or have you only recently checked the fault codes?

Advanced set point not reach makes me think it my be running a tooth retarded (like me!! :)) possibly.

Normally you would notice though, performance would be altered. Might be worth getting it checked out, sensors like that are there for that exact reason. On looking just now I've found this: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/11761.aspx which may be of use.

yes i have seen that before actually, I think I am just going to have to book it in somewhere to be honest ... Even though there's no code at the moment I just want to know its running right.. On occasion the fuel smell has almost become overpowering inside the vehicle, coupled with the smell of fuel in the exhaust it doesnt seem to be a leak..

On occasion the fuel smell has almost become overpowering inside the vehicle, coupled with the smell of fuel in the exhaust it doesnt seem to be a leak..

Deffo get it looked at then if it's overpowering.... Post results!! :)