1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Regulator

Joshie Jan 7, 2003

1. Joshie

Joshie Member

Does anyone know anything about fuel regulators on the 2.7 TT engines?

Apparently the factory fitted one is 4 bar and my mate, who lives in Denver, has been advised by OCT who have supplied him an upgraded ECU for his S4, that he should replace the 4 bar unit with an uprated 5 bar one.

Is there any performance or reliability benefit in upgrading this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Perhaps JPR could advise.

2. toasty

toasty Member

When I had my Cavalier GSi2000 lots of people bought things called power-boost valves which I assume are just uprated fuel regulators

If I understand correctly they just sit between the fuel flow and return line and maintain the fuel pressure on the injector bar(s) I think most of them work by using a spring loaded ball bearing.

That's all I know sorry.

RAM has a nice manual (60 pages) on the 2.7T engine which can be downloaded from his site, I would imagine that this has some info on the regulator.

S4 engine manual

3. Joshie

Joshie Member

Thanks Dan - lets hope AmD can advise. I'm wondering if this was upgraded when I got the RS4 turbos fitted.

4. toasty

toasty Member

You certainly would have got a bigger fuel pump and injectors (both from the RS4 I think)

5. danksy

danksy Member

Simplistically the main things governing engine output are..

i) Fuel in
    ii) Air intake
    iii) Exhaust gasses out

Normally you'll reach the upper limits of the Air-flow in, or exhaust gasses out before you reach the limits of the fuel pump, and injectors!

The old way of tuning diesels used to be to whack a bigger fuel pump in (from a van!!), that is before software came along!

6. Joshie

Joshie Member

This makes sense. The standard injectors remained - AmD said that the flow was regulated through the ECU which was remapped accordingly and RS4 injectors were not necessary with the KO4 turbos.