fuel level problem and audi are no help

lewis88

Reaction score
hi, my a3 tdi has a problem with the fuel level (not just fuel prices). when the tank is full it will show well over a full tank and when it is empty it will read just over 1/4 a tank and the red light comes on at half tank. i have spoken to audi and they just said it will be a dash pinnacle fault as my little LCD display is bleeding and faded (which to me doesnt add up).
ive tried filling the tank and adding injector cleaner a few times-no luck.
so im thinking the fuel level sender is either dirty or faulty, i tried disconecting the electrical plug from it and starting the car up but it stays at the same level that it was with the socket connected. i have found the specs for what ressistance it should read at full and empty tanks but im wondering as the connector has 4 wires which wires should i take a reading from. any help with how to read from them would be appreciated too as ive never used a voltmeter before:sadlike: thanks guys!

It sounds like it's your cluster what's at fault, normally when the sender is faulty the fuel level is all over the place

Defo a dash panel fault mate & the fact the Audi have told you this without paying for diagnostics I'd say they were of some help, If you have Vagcom you can carry out the dash function test to confirm this.

Ewan.

I had the issue on my golf a few years ago, it had basically been removed and then when it was put back on, it wasnt put on properly, so was out, therefore was registering more than was actually in there.

Maybe worth getting to the sender in the fuel tank, removing and refitting, ensuring that its been properly secured and in place....

Just a thought.

I had a new fuel tank fitted to the MG and ever since my gauge tells me I have 1/4 tank more than reality!
Ran outta petrol a few times as a result.

Step away from the fuel senders, I repeat, Step away from the fuel senders LOL.

The fact that your low level warning comes on when the dial still reads half tells me that the sender is reading correctly & that the level probably is near empty, if the dial also reads aprox 1/4 with the ignition off then pings up very quick when the ignition is switched on then you 100% have a dash panel issue. End of, no more speculation posts needed lol

Ewan.

The fact that your low level warning comes on when the dial still reads half tells me that the sender is reading correctly & that the level probably is near empty, if the dial also reads aprox 1/4 with the ignition off then pings up very quick when the ignition is switched on then you 100% have a dash panel issue. End of, no more speculation posts needed lol

Ewan.

Agreed.

I have some spare a3 petrol clocks, but if you are using them for the mechanism behind the cluster then it should be of use to you. You can have them for £20 plus postage.

Ewan.

I would listen to Ewan mate if I was you.
Piece of **** to realign your gauge needle anyway.

im having a very similar issue with the audi i just brought. needle is about a quarter tank past full when brimmed lol. and light comes on at half a tank then i ran out :( disconnected the sender and with ignition on reads quarter tank so i presume its either resistance in the wiring or the dash unit.
can the needle be realligned then?? or does the whole unit need be sent away to be fixed, i believe they can be done for about £130 from what ive researched??
any help much appreaciated thanks

Cheers for the responses guys I have some one that can reprogram clusters so if I got a petrol one and swapped over the tacho and temp would this suffice? Or am I looking St the hole capoodle?? It's nice to know audi wasn't trying to rip me off too! I'm such a pessimist!