1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel gauge and computer not telling me the same thing!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Cossie_boy, May 14, 2007.

1. Cossie_boy

Cossie_boy Member

[May 14, 2007]
    Hi all,

Recently got my A3.

When I picked the car up, it showed 3/4 tank of fuel, so I drove home and it didnt really drop a hell of a lot, yet the computer was telling me I had 100 miles left.

Today I was driving and it was reading 1/2 a tank and the fuel light came on, showing 50 miles left on the range.

I filled the car and it took about 30 litries, they arrentaly hold 62 so im guessing the gauge is acurate...but the computer isnt :sadlike:

Is this anything to worry about? or are there a secret sessions of buttons I can press to sort it out?!

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Dave
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

[May 14, 2007]
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you determine which one you can rely on.
    Out of interest anybody, do S3's have the range read out as i have never noticed it on mine.
    Nik.

4. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[May 14, 2007]
    i had i very similar fault on my S3, my fuel needle used to move even if was full, turned out it was the fuel sender or something, just needs cleaning. it was done on warrenty so i'm not a 100% exactly what it was:unsure:
  5. Cossie_boy

Cossie_boy Member

[May 14, 2007]
    Yeah it seems more the gauge and sender is ok, but the comp is wrong
  6. davidhodgkinson

davidhodgkinson Member

[May 14, 2007]
    Yes, press the toggle switch on the end of the wiper stalk to change between all the different readouts. One of them is estimated miles left in the tank
  7. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy Member

[May 15, 2007]
    The estimate works by analysing how you are driving. If you are giving it more right foot, it will of course read less and if you are driving round the turbo, then more. I think its pretty genrous at the best of times - even driving round the turbo. 5 miles seem to = 2 miles in reality at the very best.
  8. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

[May 15, 2007]
    Found it on the way into work this morning.
    For some reason having only ever glanced at this read out i thought i was a trip meter ut now i know better.
    Nik.

9. Cossie_boy

Cossie_boy Member

[May 15, 2007]
    So bascially, my gauge/sender is ok so thats good, but the comp estimates how much fuel is left based on how you drive? and not what it can read from the tank or sender?

Cheers

Dave