fuel filter change.

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
Reaction score
i changed my fuel filter today as i looking at the one on the car it looked as old as bruce forsithe, so got one off eurocarparts for a fiver.

anyway eventually got the jubilee undone as it was corroded to death, and unplugged the outlet end, and i just couldnt believe what came out! the fuel that was p***ing out was so so dirty it was a dark brown, this was proof that it had not been done in some time.

after fitting the new one i decided to hack the old in half, it was disgusting, black inside and the fuel was just filthy.

i thought id share it as there may be a few of you that have overlooked the fuel filter, and i do believe its not part of an audi service. so it might be worth changing! it just showed the amount of crap in fuel, and my car has been running on it for god knows how long. now that i have my new one fitted it seems a little smoother and punchier, this may just be a placebo however.

anyway i reccommend you change yours if you havnt in your time of ownership, im sure you'l be shocked at the state of the fuel and filter.

regards
Superkarl

I've had my S3 for a year and a half now and when i did mine when off the road i found it had a date on the filter !! 1999... The same year the car was built !! Mine was the same and found it hard to get the filter off.

its bad that they don't replace them as part of the service. after a wipe the outer case of mine looked in good nick, so i reckon it had been replaced, but my god it was bad, i even took pictures, but ****** well deleted them before duhhhhh. im gonna dig it out the bin tomoro and look for a date.

Where is the fuel filter? i cant find it any where :-( saw on the a4 its down by the rear wheel?
Anyone help me locate it?

Many thannks

Im pretty sure Audi changed my fuel filter when i took it to be serviced last month, ill double check now after reading this though.

if you cant find evidence of them doing it recently, just unplug the outlet end and see how clean the fuel is, that' give you some idea of weather to change it or not

Ive just abandoned doing this (in the rain!)

the hoses are NOT coming off and im just mullering the plastic connectors!

anyone got any tips?

im due to do a service on mine soon so good shout :) also wheres the oil filter? and do you need a tool to get it off?

Thing is, my plastic connectors have been mullered by previous owner... I cant see anything that resembles tabs at all!

Has anyone got a clear pic of the connectors as used on our S3's? then at least I can prod and hope and then lever them off (hopefully!)

If not i'm cutting the swines off!

This is the bit that pushes in, it looks slightly different to the rest of the plasic clip. Your ones might be covered in grime so you cant see it, give them a clean first:

fuelfilter4.jpg

Thanks Westy

However im not confident on the success im going to have... there was certainly no part of the clip that could be pressed in by hand... I shall see how some long nosed pliers fare!

Thanks Westy

However im not confident on the success im going to have... there was certainly no part of the clip that could be pressed in by hand... I shall see how some long nosed pliers fare!

Just keep prodding all round the clip, part of it should press in and should also be able to do it by hand. Like I say it's probably caked in road grime and a bit stiff.

I got mine to come off using a bit of force and a big flat balde screwdriver (see the thread linked above).

On hindsight i would of used an open ended spanner to pop them off as it would put even pressure on the clip. please note i did not press anything in on my connectors to get them off and they happily clipped back on to the new filter afterwards.

mine came off, wouldnt go back on. Whatever monkey changed this filter last has completley mullered the plugs.

Fuel hose, joiners and hose clamps for now. Ill go to the breakers and pick up replacement fuel lines next week. That will be fun fitting those... especially the feed to the engine that goes through the chassis rail! :banghead:!

still, got the haldex filter and oil changed and taken her for drive... kicked its **** and no leaks touch wood!

Its all swings and roundabouts with these cars mate still progress has been made :)

i have just got a fuel filter from my local motorfactors and its massive, really dont seem right.... what do you guys think?

5c7c45e6.jpg

spot on......you can see the fitted one easily enough by looking under the sill on the drivers side just in front of the rear wheel arch.

Have just got the same problem with fuel leaking everywhere out of the filter. What's the best way to get the clips off?

Any recommendation on the new filter?