Fuel filter change help

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Have done a search but cant find the answer i need...

I am doing a service on the car and changing the fuel filter as i have heard this gets neglected.

I have found the filter and undone the cir clip holding it in place but i can work out how to detach the pipes from the filter. They have black plastic ends on the pipes which look like they push onto the filter but i can work out how to release them.

Can anyone advise please

Ok worked it out now.... it was a push fitting you just had to be a little more forceful than i was being.

Turns out from the date on my fuel filter that it is the original one when the car was made!! so been on the car 10 years plus 100k!!!

The fuel that poured out of the filter was black as black can be so defo worth the change as others have mentioned.

Couldnt get the circlip back on so have cable tied it now

There is actually a little tab that has to be pressed in, it can hardly be seen so dont just tug on them or the usually break or dont lock again...
Obviously worked ok for you, just an heads up if someone finds this post....:icon_thumright:

i did see a couple of holes in the end of the pipe but it didnt seem to unlock it when i put i small flatbladed screwdriver in them.

They popped off okay using a flatbladed screwdriver but on hindsight i should of used and open eneded spanner to make it ease off on both sides at the sam time. I did look inside the pipes and could see nothing damaged and they pushed back on with a click and are nice and tight no leaks etc.

I took a pic of the filter and the fuel that came out of it so will post it up in a bit.....

Said original fuel filter plus the fuel that came out of it!

FuelFilter.jpg

I dont understand why people dont change the fuel filter on their cars on every service for the sake of £6 or thereabouts.

I have always done mine on every service I have ever done on all of my cars.

It just strikes me as strange that this isnt done for 100k or 10 years in this case.

Long nose pliers helped me push the clips in. You do have to know what your squeezing though. Took me ages to find the clips.
At the very end of the plug- theres two flat edges and two curved. (Opposite each other). Its the curved edges that need pinching.

Thread rival!! Is the fuel filter under the car? Someone told me it was in the fuel tank along with the pump, but this didn't make much sense to me.

The fuel filter is under the car towards the rear drivers side. Easily assessable using a jack. Its a small silver pot shaped like a cylinder as shown above in the pictures robs posted. Be careful with the connectors and fixings as they are prone to breaking.

i attempted to change mine on the weekend. couldnt for the life of me figure how to remove the fuel lines without breaking them. so rather than risking it i left it.

Good thread. Called Audi today, was told my car doesn’t have one.... I didn’t bother arguing.

Fyi i found it easier to loosen the jubilee clip holding the filter right off. Once the filter is in a lower position use some decent large pliers gripping and twisting the output connector away from the filter facing the front of the car. Then work on the rear facing.