1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel economy

Banwell Mar 1, 2003

1. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

I am sure this has been discussed loads, so excuse me for being lazy, but...

What is everybody's opinion on optimal rev/gear change?

Through town I am getting 24.5 mpg.

On motorway I am getting 26 mpg.

It doesn't seem to make any difference how I drive the car either. Generally I change up or down at 3000rpm. I sometimes go as far a 4000rpm through town, but nearly always on motorway.

I'd appreciated opinions - didn't someone say they were getting 28mpg? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Shell are really fleecing me at the minute, and petrol's about to get a lot more expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

2. Moresauce

Moresauce Member

My 1.8T Sport gets about 32mpg without thrashing around town and holding until about 3900rpm.

If thrashing it get about 26mpg!

3. Highlander

Highlander New Member

I get an average of about 33 mpg out of my S3. Don't know what I get on motorways, because the nearest one is 150 miles away!
    A steady run on A roads, averaging 60mph, normally gives me 36 - 38 mpg.
    Not too sure about town driving, probably get low 20s, don't exactly do much of it up here in the Highlands!
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

4. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

My A3T now gets late twenties to early thirties consistently and I never drive on the motorway and am generally stuck in rush hour traffic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif!. It only used to get early twenties until I had the dump valve replaced (old one started making hissing noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) So it might be worth getting that checked. I also find I get better fuel consumtion using optimax? strange really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

5. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

I tried running the climate control on economy and it seems to have increased town figures to close to 27!

Never though it'd make that much of a difference.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

6. JasonM

JasonM Member

Not sure what mpg I get in my S3 but record for a tank of gas is 375 miles