1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Economy sudden Loss 2.0TDI

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by LordCor, Jun 23, 2010.

1. LordCor

LordCor New Member

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Hi guys.. have been using my 140bhp TDI for 10,000 miles problem free, took it into Audi Bristol for a service last week and ever since my economy has gone down by i'd say 30%+.. cold start local trips i'm getting sub 20mpg and motorway journeys at 70pmh that used to return me high 50's are now late 30's... On the service it was noted that one of the glow plugs needed replacing, and all 4 are being done on tuesday.. but i can't figure out the sudden loss of economy.. my over all average is now 34.. down from 49-50..

Any suggestions?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. philipjmarshall

philipjmarshall Member

[Jun 23, 2010]
    HI
    I had the same problem with my previous A3, coincidently also full service carried out by Bristol Audi, when i checked under the bonnet i discovered the brand new fuel filter was leaking, turned out it had a faulty rubber sealing ring. this was of course replace free of charge, but they would not refund me for my loss of diesel.
    hope this is of help

Philip
  4. philipjmarshall

philipjmarshall Member

[Jun 23, 2010]
    it could also be that if the glow plugs have been disturbed that the seal on the old ones are releasing compression, this would have the affect of the sensors pumping more fuel in to compensate.
    just a thought.
  5. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Jun 23, 2010]
    I would use the Audi service time to try to have them investigate the low mpg issue right away. Particularly as it has become evident immediately after their service work. That much degradation in mpg is a lot. Something has gone wrong, and Bristol Audi should explain it to you. I don't think that the glow plugs are responsible for this, unless there is indeed some leakage as mentioned above.
  6. LordCor

LordCor New Member

[Jun 23, 2010]
    Cheers for the responses i'll get back onto Audi in the morning, it is a bit suspect that it's only since the service, probably the apprentice that was changing my oil for £110 an hour not screwing things back in the right place! will update when i have a conclusion..
  7. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

[Jun 23, 2010]
    One of many reasons i have never taken any of my cars to a dealer for.