Fuel Economy or NOT

ang12el

Reaction score
Well due to the great information I have been provided from this forum already I thought I would come back for another go:icon_thumright:

Question is run a Sport 130 1.9 Diesel. what is the average mpg ... it would seem that the car at the moment is drinking fuel or diesel for fun to the tune of 20ltrs will only get me 120 miles :no: this cant be right I dont drive stupidly and thrash the engine at all. but am at a loss as to why it is so poor .. the trip computer shows that I am averaging economicaly but in true fact my fuel gauge is showing a steady decline in fuel. I have filled the car up and set the mileage reset button and driven the usual routes to and from work etc. Result being the above, can anyone advise on what the potential problem might be .. In addition I aquired this vehicle just under a month ago used Car dealer. Could I take it back and get them to fix it ?

:)

Anyway if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it

:respekt:

my last 1.9 tdi AVANT did about 650 to a tank, my current 1.9 tdi avant Quattro does at least 550, with mainly motorway driving. i suggest something is definitely up with yours if the consumption is that low. you should never get less than 35mpg even if you wear lead boots!

Thanks for the info however were would I start looking I appreciate that the reserve holds @ 8-10 litres more than my old car held full tank :lmfao:
Love the car just not the fuel consumption tryes correctly inflated and all systems check out fine.:think:

Think its as bad as mine,good on a long run(motorway) crap on local (town driving).
Try a new coolant sensor first(common fault) Then fill tank to the neck! until u cant get another drop in,when you take the fuel cap off theres a small black button on the left,i usually keep this pressed down with the nozzle when filling up(this is the vent button) by keeping this pressed down you can fill rite up until u can see the diesel sitting in the filler neck,fill until u cant get anymore in!

Then set the trip to zero(0.0) and drive until u get the miles ive got listed below,see if u get the same,i cant seem to get any better than this,tried different pumps and fitted new coolant sensor and maff sensor and get no fault codes,if your car drives good with good power and starts ok change coolant sensor(worth changing) easy d.i.y, do what ive said and see if you get same figures as me.
Cant remember exactly but i think i had 28.15 litres (about 27 pounds of diesel) and i got 184.1 miles local.

Your Mileage Calculations . . . [URL="http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/images/empty_fuel.gif"][URL="http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/images/empty_fuel.gif"][URL="http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/images/empty_fuel.gif"][URL="http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/images/empty_fuel.gif"][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]Miles Per Gallon 29.71Kilometers Per Litre 10.47Litres Per 100 Kilometers 9.55Cost Per Mile£0.15Cost Per Kilometer£0.09Annual Fuel Costs£1305

15p per mile?? I nearly get that from my 2.8Q.
My TDi Avant 130 averages between 44-48mpg. You should be getting 100 miles from a tenner or 10p per mile. Filled up you should see anything between 550 and 720 miles on the trip. 720 was the most I've ever had but it was on a 4 hour motorway run with cruise on 80mph. The economy drops off significantly if you cruise over 85mph. Around town you should still get high 30's.
Are you sure you're not leaking diesel. My wife fractured a fuel line on the TDi going over one of those flip plate car park entrance things, not recommended.

mine is 51-Reg, 2.0 with multitronic, and put £20 pounds fuel, and in town, can only get around 110 miles. is this normal?

AndyMac said:
15p per mile?? I nearly get that from my 2.8Q.
My TDi Avant 130 averages between 44-48mpg. You should be getting 100 miles from a tenner or 10p per mile. Filled up you should see anything between 550 and 720 miles on the trip. 720 was the most I've ever had but it was on a 4 hour motorway run with cruise on 80mph. The economy drops off significantly if you cruise over 85mph. Around town you should still get high 30's.
Are you sure you're not leaking diesel. My wife fractured a fuel line on the TDi going over one of those flip plate car park entrance things, not recommended.

You tell me mate,cant see any leaks(although smells fumey on idle,which i have noticed on a couple of a4 tdi's) new maff,coolant sensor,no faults via vag-com,black smoke only when pulling off at junctions,cleaned egr (reading 58%,within specified readings) very light foot! driven sensibly,nothing more i can do,timing is spot on.

TEST NO 1. 2.20
2. 4.31
3. 4.31
4. 3.72
5. 4.54
6. 3.78

AVERAGE READING: 3.83 1/M
ZERO CHECK 0.18 1/M
OIL TEMP 66 c
limit 3.00 1/m

FAIL !!!

These reading have been taken on idle using vag-com.
new to vag-com so took what i could incase you guys spot unusual goings on

(reason is bad mpg,new maf,coolant sensors/filters-no leaks)

fuel temp 64.8 c
intake air temp 25.2

group 013 injectors -0.78, 0.28 ,0.42 0.52

group 004 unit injector valve command: 0.0 ATDC spec inj duration 6.6 CF
syncro angle 0.0 CF

egr 58% (40-75 specified)
maf fluctuating between 230-250 (specified 230-310)

group 005 starting condition start inj quantity 13.2 mg/str

group 009 injected quantity limitation max IQ 21.1 mg/str

group 020 torque 220/240 nm inj quantity in group 020 70.0 mg/str

intake air temp 42.3 c
intake air pressure 994.5
atmos pressure sensor f-96 989.4 mbar
d.cycle map 19.9%

ALL NEW PARTS PURCHASED FROM AUDI.
CAR DRIVES AND PERFORMS PERFECT.
OIL CHANGED 3,000 MILES AGO-AUDI SUPPLIED-

I just got 720 miles from a tank full to the filler, not sure how many litres that is

I've got a 1.9 TDI 130 and I get around 700 miles to a tank of diesel, I always top up the tank at when it gets to quarter full and that's around 600+ miles.

It's mostly motorway driving though. I haven't done a whole lot of town driving in it yet, as I've not long had it.

I do no motorway driving at all. My journey to work consists of 8 miles on a dual carriageway, 5 miles town and B roads and 10 mins queing in traffic, anything else my car does is town work. I never get under 530 miles before the red light comes on. I think this equates to around 38-39 MPG. But it does do alot better on the rare motorway runs i do.:icon_thumright:

motorway/a-roads/dual carrigeway i can get upto 40/42,its local town driving what kills me,it would be nice if it would do 35 at leat locally.29 is not good at all,what would the petrol do around town makes me think!

An update the car and me seem to have settled down into a more mutual understanding I put fuel in it starts to give me more miles per gallon when it hears me weep inside the cabin :) now getting 100+miles per £12 of fuel old VAG engine used to do exactly 120 to £10 but hey I can live with that. Happier than before and my route is a mix of short motorway and normal town.

You can also turn the climate control off (econ button) when town driving which will improve the economy by 3 or 4 mpg.

hey guys...
check this for mpg figures...
my wifes a2 is a 3cly 1.4 tdi, full tank is about £26-£27 depending on where you go, the most i've managed to get from a full tank was just under 380mile....:hubbahubba: and the road tax is £50 for the year... does'nt cost anything to run!!!!

my a4 2.0 20v gives me 24-25mpg (£25 of unleaded fuel give me about 150 miles, super gives me a bit more???) in local traffic driving too and from work, on the motorway it's morearound the 30mpg mark, but i do know i have a faulty fuel pressure regulator gonna get this changed next week hopefully get some better figures. next cars definately gonna be a diesel