1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSI 2.0 Steam Exhaust?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by aadams1x, Nov 17, 2008.

1. aadams1x

aadams1x Member

Hi, My girlfriends 2.0 FSI seems to have an excessive amount of steam (White Smoke but seems to disapear so think steam not smoke) coming from her exhaust even when the car is warm, anyone else have this...also when she overtook me the other day and she was booting it there seemed to be water coming from the exhaust, any thoughts, car doesnt seem to be drinking water and only other thing is the car is a little lumpy at tick over... Thanks, Andrew
  2. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

It's quite common to get a build up of condensation in the exhaust which eventually makes it's way out, often assisted with a dose of the right boot. Does the car do short journey's?
  3. aadams1x

aadams1x Member

Yes, the previous owner only did a mile or so to the station every day which is why he sold it in the end, gf starting from today will be driving about 15miles to work and back everyday so short journeys should reduce a bit now.... Is that related you think?
  4. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

Yes I would think so.

You do get condensation anyway, especially at this time of the year.
  5. Macduff

Macduff Member

Almost certainly. I was following a Civic a couple of years back. The driver booted it away from some lights and it was like someone has pulled the plug from a bath!

I'd expect to have to replace the exhaust soon if it's like that as it will rot from the inside out.
  6. aadams1x

aadams1x Member

Thanks for the advice, audi exhaust...that doesnt sound cheap!!
  7. aadams1x

aadams1x Member

Next question I guess. Can anything be done to stop it or is it now just the way the car works! Thanks
  8. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking

A lot of exhausts now have a small (2 or 3 mm) hole drilled at the bottom back edge of the silencer to allow water to drain.
  9. richs2891

richs2891 I cant spell !

Lol my car does this - it worse when I'm sat outside work - waiting for someone to open up - every now and then get the white puff. As had been said a longer run soon sorts it out though !

Richard