Front Wishbone Bushes

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
DSCF1225.jpg

I have to say this wasn't that big a shock after reading Rich's and others posts, the thing that is a shock is that both Audi and AmD have been asked to look at play / loose feeling in the steering in the last 5000 miles and neither mentioned the state of the bushes! I have however had a new ball joint (no difference) and a new track rod - helped.

I'm thinking of doing all 4 wishbone bushes myself and replacing them with the powerflex ones and probably do the Dog Bone one at the same time - Rich, you said it was a bit of a nightmare changing the bushes, was it just getting the old ones out or was it the bolts etc too?

I've read about there being updated wishbones for the S3 on later cars, is it worth getting the new wishbones and not going the powerflex route?

both those bushes were worn on my A3 and after I fitted new wishbones I have felt no difference at all. I couldn't feel anything wrong with them before I changed them.

Hi mate,

Yep... the state of those look familiar!!

Replacing the wishbones would be easier... But wont be as effective as th powerflex bushes. Removing the old bushes is pretty easy, made easier by a REALLY sharp chisel, a drill and a blowtorch (plumbing type one from any DIY store). I drilled round the old bush as close to the edge as possible, used a hammer to bash it out, then used the blowtorch and burnt out the rest and used the chisel at the same time... worked well. Not sure about the S3, but the A3 had metal inserts that you have to cut out, but only really doale when the bush is gone...take a look,,will be obvious!

With regard to getting the bushes in, either a mandrel press, or a vice and some other bits. I used a vice (easy) for the big bushes. he small ones were a litle harder... For this i used a some steel plate one side bolted to some threaded rod... and then put that through the arm, and then pt the bush on, and then another metal plate and a bolt, then tightened the bolt to press the plates together, therefore forcing the bush through... It deformed and i kept undoing it... Dont worry about this though... In the end i thought screw it, and pushed it in all deformed... But once its IN, remove the bolts and threaded rod .etc and then manipulate it and it popped into shape... All becomes clear when you actually do it!

HTH

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
both those bushes were worn on my A3 and after I fitted new wishbones I have felt no difference at all. I couldn't feel anything wrong with them before I changed them.

[/ QUOTE ]

On mine, they were literally torn out.... Only connected by one side... made a MASSIVE difference!

Rich

I had new, late model track arms fitted, after my old ones perished. It made a huge difference to my car, but probably due to them being really knackered in the first place.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm thinking I would rather go for the powerflex bushes in my wishbones unless there is anything really different about the new wishbones? anyone know?

Rich, been having a look on your website, can't see the S3 ones, any chance of a price for all 4 bushes and the dog bone jobbie?

Mark looks like you managed to get yours out ok ish any tips?

[ QUOTE ]
Mark looks like you managed to get yours out ok ish any tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah me and my mate did manage, but it would have been easier with the correct tools!

We had a press, but had to use some pieces of bent metal to bodge them out! My mate also cut his eye lid quite badly as it slipped and hit him!

I would recommend buying new wishbines rather then removing the originals! A lot less hassle!

Don't mind the hassle of getting the old ones out etc, to be honest the worst thing for me is getting the ****** car up in the air, the trolley jack I've got isn't low enough to get under the subframe where I wanted to jack the car up won't even go under the sump from the front of the car.

How does everyone else with low cars jack their cars up? definately don't want to just jack the car up on the sill to play with the wishbone.

Or does anyone know where you can get drive on mini ramps that are wide enough for non joke sized tyres?

I'll pm you the details for the bushes...

With regard to jacking it up, When im doing work like this where the car is off the ground for a while, i use axle stands... I place them on the front subframe, obviously not in the way of the control arms. Just use the jack on the sill as normal to jack it up, and then low it onto the stands. I always leave the jack in place, semi tensioned just as a back up!

Ah right that makes sense, had the axel stands at the ready was just trying to get the jack closer to the subframe - Cheers will do that next time.

Thanks for all your help chaps - one last thing, does anyone know what the differences are / have pics of the old / new wishbones as I just want to check there isn't any reason to get the new ones.

Rich - Have replied to your PM.

I use the standard jack on the sill with a peice of cloth to protect the paint. I jack it up high enough to then put my beefy trolly jack under the subframe rear attachment. Then use axle stands to support.

I'm going to get one of those super low trolley jacks at some point, but I always forget about it untill its time to jack the car up again! :)

i didnt realise there were two different versions of wishbone. I was lucky when I did it, I have a two poster can use any time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all your help chaps - one last thing, does anyone know what the differences are / have pics of the old / new wishbones as I just want to check there isn't any reason to get the new ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a pic, but according to the chap at AmD when I had them fitted, the newer ones are slightly different shape and lighter to hold?

ah ****** it, I've ordered the bushes from Rich now anyway... I REALLY hope it doesn't p/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifs down with rain all this weekend as changing brake discs and pads in the rain wasn't fun - especially when the F/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifG screw snapped off in the hub.

Well after a LOT of hassle and a lot of help from Rich ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif) I've fitted the ECS front wishbone front bushes and the Powerflex purple front wishbone rear bushes as the ECS ones REALLY, REALLY didn't want to go into my wishbone (intact at least).

I have to say the difference is a lot more than I was exepcting especially on the steering and this is without having the wheels aligned (which you need to get done after doing this as the adjustment is on the front of the wishbone.

My car now goes over bumps in the road a lot better, slightly more skipping but always more controlled than before. Speed bumps are no longer horrible even at slow speeds just a solid thump.

Turn in is so much better it's untrue, feels more like my old clio when going to "chuck" it into a bend - a lot more confidence straight away even around a sharp corner I know very well.

More solid steering and more feel of whats going on and a general all round happy chap, I was all set for a dissapointment after all the trouble I had fitting them (most of which was getting knackered bolts of my car) but there great!

If anyone is considering doing this, I would say go for it (especially if you have bushes that look like the above), there are no negatives from my point of view, however I would probably get someone else to do it for you if the bolts haven't been off you car for a while. If anyone fancies a challenge like me I'll be happy to answer any questions on the fitting of them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

PS... Rich, if there's ever anything else I want, that you sell you'll have a repeat customer! Just hurry up and finish the website

[ QUOTE ]

PS... Rich, if there's ever anything else I want, that you sell you'll have a repeat customer! Just hurry up and finish the website

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks Ben!

I've got 2 weeks off over Christmas... Website will be my main priority!

Rich