1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front wheels spin in the wet

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by doublem_1, Dec 20, 2012.

1. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    I've noticed this happening often mainly in the wet during normal city driving, pulling away from traffic lights and stops. I can feel a little rumble from the front of the car until the tyres pick up. If I pull away slower it doesn't happen. Now, these tyres have been on the car nearly 2 years when I bought them, embarrassingly yes they are budgets but I had only just bought the car and as such paid for 4 new tyres. They have about 3mm of tread left on the fronts, the back about 5mm.

I have a 1.9tdi Quattro, and the can feel the rear picking up going around bends and roundabouts and I can always remember the wheels never spinning when pulling away in the wet. So my question is, is this purely down the front tyres needing replacing?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 25, 2015]

3. colicabcadam

colicabcadam Guest

[Dec 20, 2012]
    is it mapped ? if so, expect it !

ignore that, you have a quattro, i reckon your haldex is not working
  4. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    The haldex feels like it kicks in during cornering though. Is there a way to tell for sure? The handbrake is definately all the way down!
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Dec 20, 2012]
    Scan it.
    And give the haldex a service.
    Almost sounds like its recating very slowly. Obv budget tyres wont help at all
  6. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's! Supporter

[Dec 20, 2012]
    Fuse on top of the battery box, if that goes you lose ESP and Haldex. RyanS3MTM had the same problem and was amazed when I fixed it for him with just a fuse.

Give it a go. :)
  7. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    In the service book it had a Haldex service about a year before I bought it (2 years back) but I suppose there is no harm in having it done again. I will check all the fuses. Would the one on top the battery cause any lights to appear on the dash if it affects the ESP?
  8. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's! Supporter

[Dec 20, 2012]
    Well on Ryans S3 there was no light on the dash, but there was just no ESP function. The fronts would slip but it was an intermittant fault because of a rotten connection on that fuse box. Cleaned the terminals and put a new fuse in and it was all sorted.
  9. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Dec 20, 2012]
    Try doing a bad-ass start in the wet as see if it hooks up :) of you get wheelspin the haldex isn't working.

If you're unsure, try pulling te handbrake up a both to definitely disengage it and try a launch again and compare.
  10. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Dec 20, 2012]
    This sounds like the best course of action, didn't think about trying this but it makes sense! Thanks!! I will check the fuses out under the bonnet tomorrow.