Front wheel is very loose/has alot of play in it

vetch

A4 Avant
Reaction score
There is a lot of play in the wheel, by that I mean that if you jack the car up, there is a good 2cm+ of play in the wheel. The wheel can be "wiggled" on the hub.

The wheel is securely bolted to the hub, the whole wheel, brake disc etc wiggles as one. I don't believe its the driveshaft as it seems solid and its just had a new balljoint.

So what else could cause such dangerous play in the wheel? Wheel bearing?

Thanks for your quick replies gents.

I am certain the balljoint is tight, there doesn't seem to be any movement from it. I had the car on axle stands earlier and you can move the wheel/hub back and forth with minimal effort, its proper loose (and proper dangerous). Im hoping it is just the wheel bearing as its a relatively easy job.

Its had new shocks and springs and top mounts in the last last few months.

is the play top to bottom, or left to right?.
If left to right could be a trackrod end.

That will be that driveshaft nut again mate, the big 32mm one. Its been loose that last few times, I even loctited it last time. Tighten it up for now, and get a new nut from Audi.

Hi Mark, I was hoping you would see this thread. I had a look at that nut, as I remembered you had to loctite it last time. Is it a common problem for this nut to fail/work loose?

Not normally, but your car is far from the Norm.. Take a look mate, i am 99% its that.

You shoulda texted me or summat