1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front mount cooler and bumper mods

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Oranoco, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Busy day yesterday, finally got the De-cat on, which was surpringly easy with the help of a mate.

Out with the old

[​IMG]

In with the new

[​IMG]

New cooler is bolted in place and is snug against the aircon rad, problem is it looks like I will need to butcher the bumper to refit it.

[​IMG]

How have others done it?
  2. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

Cut almost all the metal away on the back of the bumper where the front mount is and almost all of the bumper itself upto the grills, most of people that fit them dont seem to have the ac rad and dont have to butcher it as much
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. Oranoco

Sorted :)

[​IMG]

Just need to find some mesh that looks RS4 esq so I can make it look a little less obtrusive
  4. dest

dest Member

Im not sure if it would work on an A4, but on an S4 you have to modify the end tanks so the pipes are angled back a bit, then you can fit the bumper with no visible change to it or the grills.
    Mine is being done next week if all goes to plan :D
  5. B5QUAT

B5QUAT Member

Which intercooler is that? Looks bigger than the ones I've seen. Do you know the diameter of the pipework?
  6. Oranoco

It's the Toyosports intercooler as found on E-Bay. Can take measurements tomorrow at some point if it'll help. Had to cut a section of metal out the back of the bumper about 250mm long and trim th eplastic back up to the grill edges. It's still.... snug.. shall I say
  7. B5QUAT

B5QUAT Member

That'd be cool, thanks.
  8. Oranoco

Right dug the bumpf out and it is claimed to be 450x230x50 but upon actual measuring mine is 453mm x 236mm x 54mm this is largely down to the globby welds.

HTH
  9. B5QUAT

B5QUAT Member

Are you sticking with the original bumper?

I want to on mine, as I don't like the RS4 bumper option, as it's not an RS4 if you know what I mean?

It seems such a shame with these big intercoolers that so much of it is covered up by the OEM bumper and reg plate. Suppose you could relocate the reg but then it starts to look very MAX Power. I've seen the longer narrower coolers that seem to fit in the "space exposed to airflow" a bit better but they are only listed as supporting 300-350bhp as they are so small. :(