front i/c

Ess_Three, what did you use to log the data from your engine?

I have a 1.8 t sport that runs 1.5bar boost and holds about 1.3ish. My car is only running the one cooler as standard and would be keen to find out what charge temps im running.

Looking at the pic of that cooler in the picture it looks a nice product with everything needed to fit included in the price. It covers a huge amount of the radiator though. How would this affect the running temps of the car?

What would you call running flat out on a standard s3?1.4bar?

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three, what did you use to log the data from your engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an RTD instrument fitted as standard thast the ECU uses...you can read / log it with VAG Com.
I can't remember the block number though...it's been so long since I did the testing.
Sorry...

[ QUOTE ]

I have a 1.8 t sport that runs 1.5bar boost and holds about 1.3ish. My car is only running the one cooler as standard and would be keen to find out what charge temps im running.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are running 1.5bar peak, your turbo is running very hot..and very fast...hence your inlet charge will be hot.
You may be shocked to see how hot!

As for 1.3 bar sustained...I honsesly didn't think a K03 (assuming you still have a K03) would sustain 1.3bar....I was struggling on a K04.

Either way...it too, is hot.

[ QUOTE ]
What would you call running flat out on a standard s3?1.4bar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are we talking?
Peak?
I hope so...as a K04 won't sustain 1.4bar!

No, I don't think 1.4 peak is running flat out.
Most respected tuners seem to be happy to run 1.4bar ish and recognise no ill effects.

Mine at 1.4bar was running inlet temperatures that were much higher than I'd anticipated on the dyno...but acceptable out on the road.
It did heatsoak a lot though.

By 1.45bar ish (not a lot different, I know, but a more aggressive map) it was running very hot on the inlet temps. (Optimax and more ignition timing)
It was run on the dyno with the front bumper off to try to keep it cool...we even tried the hosepipe of cold water on the SMICs!

At that point I added the FMIC and went up in boost...so I can't comment on anything above 1.45bar on standard SMICs.

I then ran a standard SMIC on the drivers side, followed by a FMIC and upped the boost to 1.6-1.65 bar.
This was another aggressive Optimax map, for a car with FMIC, Cats, exhaust etc.
Inlet charge was 20 degrees C ish on the road / dyno if the fans were good.

I then upped to 1.8-1.9bar after adding a bespoke larger SMIC...running a bespoke SMIC and FMIC in series, with de-restricted and modified pipework...and was seeing 20-23 degrees average, at 1.85ish bar, holding 1.3ish bar.
Figures were 275ish BHP and 330ish lb-ft...charge air inlet temperatures were approx 20-23 on the dyno, less on the road...as said above.

The turbo was glowing red.

[ QUOTE ]
How much is the sportec I/C with fitting?

[/ QUOTE ]
Something like £1200+vat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

On a standard S3...they do next to nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only point i was making was that the majority of remapped s3's are running 1.1-1.4 bar peak,dropping to 1.1bar at 6krpm.I totally agree that you would gain more power because the ecu wouldn't pull as much timing but is it really a worthwhile bang for buck mod?
Your car was a special case along with simons.

[ QUOTE ]

fmic1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The only point i was making was that the majority of remapped s3's are running 1.1-1.4 bar peak,dropping to 1.1bar at 6krpm.I totally agree that you would gain more power because the ecu wouldn't pull as much timing but is it really a worthwhile bang for buck mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...sort of, which is why I put 'next to nothing'.

The standard S3 IC set up does heat-soak badly...and I believe that a FMIC would stop a lot of that happening.
So, although it wouldn't necessarily add any power to a standard S3, it should make it nicer to drive hard, as it'll heatsoak less.

Now, how much 'better' is certainly open to discussion...I guess 'not a lot' is the answer.

As for your point about 'bank for buck'...that holds so true...it's not a cost effective mod...a bit like Sports Cats, an Exhaust System...and various other 'wonder' mods I could mention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just out of interest did you retain the pipe linking the two original ic's?I did as i thought it might have been designed to be a sort of brace aswell,it's seem like quite a substantial pipe.Sorted the cold feed for my air-box,trying to copy the same position that you had have for the end of the pipe,quite a way from the grille.

Interesting what you say and I can relate to this. Posted a while ago about the turbo getting very very hot and the car felt considerably slower top end, as if it had pulled the timing back.
I think a fmic would certainly help here.
Make more power ? Probably not . Stop me losing power ? I think it would.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of interest did you retain the pipe linking the two original ic's?I did as i thought it might have been designed to be a sort of brace aswell,it's seem like quite a substantial pipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it appears to be a front chassis leg brace too...

You can't remove it as the PS cooler pipe is attached to it...if you do your PS cooler will hang in fresh air.

You could rig up a bracket for the cooler pipe I guess...but I left mine on to keep the stiffness.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorted the cold feed for my air-box,trying to copy the same position that you had have for the end of the pipe,quite a way from the grille.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, about 6" or so back in from the grille, pulling air upwards, is where mine ended up.

If you fit a 4" subwoofer duct to the end (as I did, but never photographed it) you'll find it can really only sit in one position...it'll find it's own position anyhow.