1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front i/c

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ELIASGK74, May 11, 2005.

1. ELIASGK74

ELIASGK74 Member

[May 11, 2005]
    has anyone fit front i/c in s3?
    any infos?
  2. HTC

HTC Active Member

[May 11, 2005]
  3. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[May 11, 2005]
    very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  4. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 11, 2005]
    ..very big.

Increase in lag?
    I think so...
  5. olekvi

olekvi Member

[May 11, 2005]
    It has the 'lets reroute the air straight across the engine bay'-solution, which I do not like (and which isn't working in a S3)
  6. imported_Wicked666

imported_Wicked666 Guest

[May 11, 2005]
    silly question but i'm not into engines much until now but.....what does an intercooler actually do?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif
  7. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[May 11, 2005]
    hmmm,the one i have and glen/david/simon have is as big as you can get behind the stock bumper...trust me.Does it fit in the same gap?
  8. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[May 11, 2005]
    Ah i assumed it was a behind bumper model!

lucky the more erudite of you are here to keep us from making costly mistakes

cheers
  9. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
    The reason i know how tight it is that i took the bumper off and tried adjust the position of the ic but then i couldn't get the bumper to go back on as the ic only fits in one position also the core couldn't be much thicker as the gap behind the bumper bar and radiator is not that big.Also the standard bumper curves in hence why you need small outlet pipework(about 2.25") on the endtanks.
  10. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

[May 12, 2005]
    That looks awesome.

I thought the A3 and S3 needed different style intercooler because of the position of the throttle body?

"At over four times the frontal area of the standard unit, our cooler will dramatically reduce the air intake temperatures and allow you to run more boost whilst keeping turbo lag to an almost non- existent level with our high flow- high efficiency core design."

Anyone got a picture of that cooler fitted?
  11. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    Its designed in conjunction with Jabba - they have one fitted already to their 1.8T quattro. They told me it still retains the crash bar and would'nt add excessive lag - I guess with a SPS3 or Jabba remap you could up the timing a touch to help.
    I was actually booked to have one fitted to my S3 this week but unfortunately something came up which resulted in a change of plans...

Dunc
  12. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its designed in conjunction with Jabba - they have one fitted already to their 1.8T quattro. They told me it still retains the crash bar and would'nt add excessive lag - I guess with a SPS3 or Jabba remap you could up the timing a touch to help.
    I was actually booked to have one fitted to my S3 this week but unfortunately something came up which resulted in a change of plans...

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Which FMIC were you going to have fitted Dunc?

Adam
  13. HTC

HTC Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
    I thinks he's talking about the pro alloy one.

Yeah, their stall was next to Jabba's at GTI International which was where I took the pic.

Just thought I'd post it as its a new product.
  14. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    dunc - can you confirm that the pro alloy one will fit behind s3 bumper? i am guessing that is what you have from your name and that the fact they were going to fit one for you is does. but if its specifically for an a3 which somebody above has said has a different bumper....???
  15. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
  16. L1ARR

L1ARR Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
    I have used Pace in the past, they fabricate excellent products, I didn't think they done anything for the S3 / A3.
    Do any of the TT FMIC fit an S3???
  17. s3bow

s3bow Member

[May 12, 2005]
  18. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

[May 12, 2005]
    All these pics of intercoolers are making me want one on the tq now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It doesnt help when so many companies make them either. Hard to decide which i want.
  19. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have used Pace in the past, they fabricate excellent products, I didn't think they done anything for the S3 / A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do indeed! They made a load for my old car owners club (Fiat Coupe) for a VERY good price ... S3 pipework is far less complex too so should be around the same cost, or cheaper. £300 all in !!!

..they'd need a car to test fit to of course - would love to do it if I were closer to them.

Forge TT intercooler doesn't so I'd assume the Pace one wont either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A
  20. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    All these pics of intercoolers are making me want one on the tq now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It doesnt help when so many companies make them either. Hard to decide which i want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you get make sure it's single pass ... means re-routing the turbo outlet pipe but well worth it.

Adam
  21. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
  22. imported_kennyf

imported_kennyf Guest

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do indeed! They made a load for my old car owners club (Fiat Coupe) for a VERY good price ... S3 pipework is far less complex too so should be around the same cost, or cheaper. £300 all in !!!

..they'd need a car to test fit to of course - would love to do it if I were closer to them.

Forge TT intercooler doesn't so I'd assume the Pace one wont either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A

[/ QUOTE ]

Monty I missed out on the group buy on FCCUK when I had the coop!

Group buy on FMIC , does anybody stay near pace that'd be willing to let their S3 be the test car?

Could be worth polling for intrest?
  23. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A

[/ QUOTE ]

Monty I missed out on the group buy on FCCUK when I had the coop!

Group buy on FMIC , does anybody stay near pace that'd be willing to let their S3 be the test car?

Could be worth polling for intrest?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried a while back .. little or no interest. Seems most S3 owners are a little reluctant to shell out on mods.

Didn't know you were an ex coop owner! There are a few of us on here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The FMIC on the coop was top quality, pity it wasn't single pass though.

In theory a FMIC on the S3 is a piece of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif. Pipes are pretty much where you want them .. just need a nice slimmish intercooler so we can keep the crashbar and some clever piping to avoid the headlight washers.

Adam
  24. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

[May 12, 2005]
  25. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[May 12, 2005]
    another thing to consider is that the rad airflow is restricted and the air flowing over it effectively "heated up" bu passing through the IC first.

so stable water/oil temp may suffer.

some then fit an auxillary oil cooler where one of the side mount IC's were.
  26. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
    Having had the bumper off at the weekend and fiddled with the ic ,i can't see how a giant intercooler could fit with the standard bumper,there is so little space.
  27. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why Single pass over twin pass? I was always under the impression twin pass was better?

Anyone used GRS Motorsport. I had some bit knocked up by them a while back for the Ka.

http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk/seatintercooler1.jpg

Thats the cooler they do for the Ibiza

I had a rad done by them to my design and was very very impressed

http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk/misckaradiator2.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pros:
    Better cooling for smaller size of intercooler. Easier fit if both intercooler inlet/outlet are on the same side of the car.

Cons:
    Air path isn't ideal .. far from straight (2 90 degree bends) and increases lag, badly in some applications.

..single pass, large area is what you want.

A
  28. monty77

monty77 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    another thing to consider is that the rad airflow is restricted and the air flowing over it effectively "heated up" bu passing through the IC first.

so stable water/oil temp may suffer.

some then fit an auxillary oil cooler where one of the side mount IC's were.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, an uprated rad is a good idea. On my coupe I had a matching Alu pace rad too to compensate.

A
  29. amb276s3

amb276s3 bird spotter

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    has anyone fit front i/c in s3?
    any infos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I have the Sportec FMIC fitted to my S3, only a few mm need to be shaved off the inside of bumper for it to fit perfectly, a worthwhile albeit costly mod. AB
  30. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    dunc - can you confirm that the pro alloy one will fit behind s3 bumper? i am guessing that is what you have from your name and that the fact they were going to fit one for you is does. but if its specifically for an a3 which somebody above has said has a different bumper....???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Jabba said it would, and on the pro alloy site it says A3/S3 as fitmetn options.

Best talk to Jabba

Dunc
  31. ELIASGK74

ELIASGK74 Member

[May 12, 2005]
    which one do you have Ryanc?
    any photo?
    have anyone check temps with vagcom?
  32. Ryanc

Ryanc Active Member

[May 12, 2005]
  33. simonelman

simonelman Member

[May 13, 2005]
    Ive still got one sitting on my desk if anyone wants including Samcos.

SimonS3MTM
  34. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

[May 13, 2005]
    make and pics? will it fit on the a3 tq?

pm with more details if you wish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  35. simonelman

simonelman Member

[May 14, 2005]
    Hi
    I will sort some pics out over the weekend

Simon TW it will fit your car but you will need to change your inlet manifold to a S3 style as the air flows from the passenger side but i have a spare one if need be.

SimonS3MTM
  36. brownbomber

brownbomber New Member

[May 16, 2005]
  37. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[May 16, 2005]
  38. SyA3Turbo

SyA3Turbo Member

[May 16, 2005]
    come one wayne, get some pics up of this a3 cooler fitted to a car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  39. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[May 16, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    well looking at the pipework then if you wanted to fit it too a s3 you would have to do away with both ic's then,a bit like the forge fmic on the tt.Probably still do the job,although it would concern me how much air flow would actually get to the top of the ic as the grille is lower down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I would personally have the inlet/outlet at the bottom of the itnercooler as this is where the majority of the air will be and will have the most flow over the core. The >2001 A3 bumper was cr*p for any form of airflow from the bottom and from the grille. I think the reason its like that is for fitment so it will fit behind the stock bumper. Im looking at fitting a similar intercooler but the other way round so the pipework is at the bottom not the top...But with my bumper its not a problem

Wayne, whats your views on the inlet/outlet positioning? Im sure you have done the research more than I/We have! Im not cirticising your companies work, just interested in the reasoning behind it

Rich
  40. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 17, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Personally i don't think it's a worthwhile mod unless your running a uprated turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.
    In my mind, it's more important on a car with a standard turbo that's running flat out...

Big turbo conversions, by their very nature, don't add as much heat to the inlet charge as small turbos running way up top of their efficiency range (or even outside it)

Big turbos are so much larger, that they move the air more efficiently and hence require less aftercooling...unless you are pushing the limits of the bigger turbo.

As an example, my chipped standard turbo S3 was showing 78 degrees C charge air inlet temperature at the inlet manifold AFTER the 2 standard ICs, running 1.6 bar peak boost.

After the fitting of a bespoke IC set up...it was running 20-25 degrees C (dyno or road) at 1,85+ bar boost.

A worthwhile mod?
    I think so...unless you want to melt something...or want the ECU to retard the timing so much that you are barely making more peak power than a standard S3!

I have all the data available...FMICs work well on standard turbo cars when you are running 'silly' boost.

On a standard S3...they do next to nothing.