Front hub carrier help please

karl210

Reaction score
I just went to change the brakes on my mates car and upon tightening the caliper back up the threads have stripped but the caliper carrier and the hub carrier is all 1 assembly, so i cant simply change the carrier. So basically i need to change the whole hub carrier assembly! The car is a 54 plate 1.6 but on ebay most of them look different and the carrier is a seperate piece. When did this change over and does this car share the same hub carrier with any other cars? any help asap would be great, thanks

Have you considered a tap to cut a new thread?

Sorry I just re-read, the carrier is fixed to the hub, so its not bolted on, that's a real fekker, hey if those inserts work & stay put then guess its worth a go, how bad is the thread, cause some I've recovered with taps tbh.

Sorry I just re-read, the carrier is fixed to the hub, so its not bolted on, that's a real fekker, hey if those inserts work & stay put then guess its worth a go, how bad is the thread, cause some I've recovered with taps tbh.

Tell me about it mate what a stupid design. Its quite bad to be honest I can pretty much push the bolt in and out of the thread. They look better than a helicoil to be honest because when you tighten it up it will pull the thread cap tighter. Shame I cant get a nut on the other end

Wurth Time-sert will do the job I would have thought. I've used them before on a E39 523i engine block when the headbolts stripped and they held.

Gonna go round a couple of hardware shops tommorow morning because i havent got the time to wait for delivery, if they dont have the things i posted or any time-serts will a heli-coil do the job?

its your brakes mate ! not a cylinder head bolt, if it fails it could be fatal, perhaps not to you but passenger / other motorist, is it worth it ???? no.
get another hub/ back plate, even if its from a breakers yard

If the Time-sert is installed correctly and the bolt torqued to the correct spec, then it will be as good as new. The Time-serts are a solid metal sleeve not merely a coil of wire like helicoils.

Caliper retaining bolts 30NM

E39 523i cylinder head bolt torque 40NM + 180degrees rotation.

I think the Time-serts will be up to the job.

Edit: Though the cost of the kits isn't cheap, so as above said a second hand hub may be the more cost effective option.

Last edited: