1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Grill Paint

Danny Cawsey Feb 4, 2013

1. Danny Cawsey

Danny Cawsey Cawsey

What type of paint have people been using to pant the front grill surround?

I've panted mine twice now and needs to be done a third time as the jet wash keep chipping it off.
    I'm tempted to just vinyl it now.

2. Grale1

Grale1 Active Member

Have you tried using a plastic primer? Rub it all down first so the primer sticks properly, and don't prime/paint to fast between coats.
    I personally say its getting the right primer

3. Danny Cawsey

Danny Cawsey Cawsey

I didn't prime it last time just coated loads in satin black paint. maybe ill source some decent plastic primer this time.

4. TOM.S

TOM.S Active Member Silver Supporter

try plasti dip mate ;)

5. dre_S3

dre_S3 Member

Thats your problem mate it needs a good base to stick to. Rub it down then give it some coats of plastic primer

6. Jay A3

Jay A3 #because Racecar Team Daytona Audi A3 Manual

+1

Wet sand it down so the primer adhere's to the surround, then apply tha black. I jet wash my car quite often and it doesn't come off... however stone chips cant be helped

7. Jimgrim77

Jimgrim77 Member

Or vinyl wrap. Buy 1m, heat and cut. 20mins, perfect finish and no hassle.

Added bonus is wont chip as easy or as bad.

Check damo's wrapping thread.

8. chris99

chris99 s3 driver

did it once with proper primer layer and lasted for 2 months.
    now did it with plasti dip (no primer as i couldn't get the primer from same company and didn't want to mix them) and is the same like the day i painted it for 3 months of winter :)

9. danderton

danderton Member

This is something i have been thinking of. How easy was it to remove the grill? Is there a guide anywhere?

10. chris99

chris99 s3 driver

was very easy.. after removing the bumber :)
    seriously, you can take the badge and the grill frame off carefully (especially if it's cold) just pay attention to the clips, as i found mine had already 2 clips broken by the ex-owner.. take a look at the pic
    [​IMG]

danderton likes this.
  11. Mav190sline

Mav190sline Member

Try matt black Plastidip. +1 great product. Done the a4 about 6 months ago. Still looks as good now. No stone chips or peeling with the jetwash. Pondering on doing the s3 but not sure yet.

Mav

12. Adam P

Adam P Active Member

On mine, i sanded the chrome grill surround down and sprayed with plastic primer, then sprayed black followed by lacquer. I wasn't happy with the finish so sanded it back down again and used filler primer and sanded this back to get as smooth as possible surface which was then sprayed with colour 3 coats then lacquered. Since that it hasn't chipped :icon_thumright: