Front end low after shocks replaced

Jxly

Reaction score
I’ve just replaced my shocks with new 2cm lower ones. The car is sitting too low though. Should the top cap be sitting nicely inside the rubber top mount so that there is no visible gap? I didn’t think to check when I did the job. My theory is that I can just remove the top cap, loosen the one under that holds the rubber mount in until there is no gap at the top when the cap is placed back on. Would I have to jack the car up to do this? My brain is struggling to think about it right now :/
0073e8899c57fb496a4454fb2732319a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you replace the rubber top mounts?

Did you replace the rubber top mounts?

Yeah I replaced them a few weeks ago, wish I hadn’t as I got a set free with the shocks I bought!

Also forgot to mention, since I have 2cm shorter struts now, will I need shorter drop links? Putting the drop links back in was quite tough, had to use a breaker bar to force the ARB down quite a bit to line up the drop link with the hole.

You can get shallower strut tops (that metal bit) I believe? Which would nip that down.

Did you change the springs to lowering ones?

What car is it S3 or A3?

You can get shallower strut tops (that metal bit) I believe? Which would nip that down.

Did you change the springs to lowering ones?

What car is it S3 or A3?

I’m just wanting to know if the metal cap should be sitting flat in the top mount. Pretty sure the springs I bought were just standard for A3. Not sure if there is any difference is size between the FWD and the Quattro. Mine is an A3 1.8 TQS. I didn’t want lower shocks but they were the only affordable ones I could find and it came with the rear shocks too.

I’m just wanting to know if the metal cap should be sitting flat in the top mount. Pretty sure the springs I bought were just standard for A3. Not sure if there is any difference is size between the FWD and the Quattro. Mine is an A3 1.8 TQS. I didn’t want lower shocks but they were the only affordable ones I could find and it came with the rear shocks too.

It usually does unless the rubber mounts are squashed, or you get smaller top mounts to get it lower haha, tbh mine aren’t flush and it’s not causing any issues.

Quattro models have different rear suspension and I think the drop links hook up to the shock rather than the arm. Not sure if that’s an S3/TT only thing.

It usually does unless the rubber mounts are squashed, or you get smaller top mounts to get it lower haha, tbh mine aren’t flush and it’s not causing any issues.

Quattro models have different rear suspension and I think the drop links hook up to the shock rather than the arm. Not sure if that’s an S3/TT only thing.

Yeah I found that out the hard way with the front shocks. Ordered a set and they didn’t have the hole for the drop link to fit into. That’s why it took me so long to find shocks that fit my car. Just a Quattro thing. Same with brake pipes too, had to look for ones from a TT because A3 ones wouldn’t fit.

As for the top cap, I think loosening the 2nd bolt will bring it flush anyway so it will help. I’m getting a horrible knocking when driving slowly over potholes etc, not sure if that’s related. Changed one wishbone for the mot, going to do the other in a couple of weeks. Also when I take off in first or let clutch out quickly (basically jumping forward) I get a knock, I’m thinking that the gap in the top mount is the culprit but who knows, will find out tonight when I finish work.

Reactions: Cheeks
Yeah I found that out the hard way with the front shocks. Ordered a set and they didn’t have the hole for the drop link to fit into. That’s why it took me so long to find shocks that fit my car. Just a Quattro thing. Same with brake pipes too, had to look for ones from a TT because A3 ones wouldn’t fit.

As for the top cap, I think loosening the 2nd bolt will bring it flush anyway so it will help. I’m getting a horrible knocking when driving slowly over potholes etc, not sure if that’s related. Changed one wishbone for the mot, going to do the other in a couple of weeks. Also when I take off in first or let clutch out quickly (basically jumping forward) I get a knock, I’m thinking that the gap in the top mount is the culprit but who knows, will find out tonight when I finish work.

When I got knocking over potholes it was the ball joints however it could be anything haha.