1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front end clicking noise when turning

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Keggers, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Keggers

Keggers Member

So I have now noticed when turning on the driveway with a fair amount of lock on and whilst moving that there is a clicking sound coming from what sounds like the front off side wheel, I've checked the cv boots and they are all good but I did have both replaced 6 months ago.. I'm wondering if the joints are worn inside and this is my trouble? Any ideas? Advice? How can I confirm either way or am I looking in the wrong place..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

CV joint by the sounds of it. You losing any grease?

4. Keggers

Keggers Member

There was a small mound of grease sat on one of the bushes under the cv joint but I can't see how it's got out of the boot!!

5. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

May just happen on the move, sometimes it the clamp isnt tight enough it can escape. When you had your cv replaced recently - where was the part from?

Unfortunately everything points towards a cv joint. I've had many issues with these in the past!!

6. Keggers

Keggers Member

WAs done by a garage..

7. Keggers

Keggers Member

What am I looking at cost wise to sort it out? Thanks

8. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

This is what I would do:

Buy a driveshaft instead of just the CV joint from here -

J & R Trading (UK) Ltd Store

they come with a 2 year warranty and are very reasonably priced (around £50). Obviously therefore if you have any issues in 2 years they replace for free (I have used these guys a lot and have never had issues - there stuff is well made)

Change out the driveshaft.

Where are you based? If it is local I can do it for you

Cheers

9. Keggers

Keggers Member

Near grantham

10. Keggers

Keggers Member

New drive shaft fitted and noise has gone, took around 45 mins to do and cost around £54, thanks to the forum and some very helpful members,
    Thank you

11. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

Result mate, just got your message. Has the clicking stopped? From what you said I would hope it has as it sounds as if the inner cv was gone.

12. Keggers

Keggers Member

Yep, all good, tool for the inner side took a bit of getting, twice as many teeth as a standard torx bit and 10mm, but an easy job on the whole when I had the right shaft!!

13. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

Sorry mate I should have said. I think they are 12 sided torx bits. Good news though, he'll of a lot easier than changing a cv joint too and a damn side less messy!

14. Keggers

Keggers Member

I agree, I'll have no fears if the other side goes!! Did you see my question about the slight amount of play on the gearbox side?

15. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

Yeah I would expect that if you had an issue with the cv. May we'll have been the source of your clicking

16. Keggers

Keggers Member

I actually mean with the shaft removed the collar that spins on the gearbox had a small amount of play in it when pushed and pulled! No noise now though so assume it's ok.

17. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

Oh right! No minimal play in this is something I always experience and has never caused me any problems.

18. Keggers

Keggers Member

Ok mate, that's reassuring. Mines an auto, but for the life if me I can't see how to check the gearbox oil? Is it best left alone?

19. bullawayo

bullawayo BargeFamilia

Garage job that mate. I wouldn't do it myself on an auto as you have to monitor the temperature on vagcom and fill it using a special pump. If you get it wrong the box will be toast.

20. Keggers

Keggers Member

I'll steer clear of that then..It's been serviced every year since new and I had the can belt done 2 years ago, only 67000 on the clock now but would like to keep it in tip top condition..I love it but would smile more if the mpg was a bit higher!! I guess the Quattro and auto and weight of the car as it's an estate are all against big mpg figures,,,still love it though .