front end clicking/knocking..

ned.c

Reaction score
Hi all, noticing a clicking or knocking at low speed, normally as I'm pulling out of a junction or parking etc which at the same time I've normally got a reasonable amount of lock on (seems worse on right lock than left, but seems to happen on both). I'm presuming this is likely a cv joint or possibly ARB related? Are there are common issues on A3's for these parts?

It's an 05 Sportback sport tdi and covered 93k. I thought this was a bit early mileage wise for a cv joint/drive shaft needing changing? I gave it a quick visual inspection when i got home this evening and couldn't see anything obvious but thought I'd post as it seemed notciably louder today (after a bit of spirited driving) and I'm taking it to Wales on hols in a week's time.

Any similar problems, alternative suggestions, checks (I know the driving round on full lock slowly in a carpark to check/listen for the cv joints) etc?

cheers,

Andrew.

Uhhhh ohhh might not be the common fault but just to warn you could very well be steering rack, its well known tbh, might not be but do search on the forum about A3 steering rack & read up to see if the posts addup to your issues, changed mine recently because after some arb changes my rack started playing up, replaced with an EOS one 6k on & hasnt been problem since.

Thanks for the info NHN, seems a possibility. I think I'll keep an eye on it and see if it deteriorates or not and maybe get the dealer to check it and diagnose if poss. From reading all the steering rack threads audi seem to diagnose the rack in about 10 seconds!

thanks.