1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front damper spec. Anyone?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by rich1068, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Jul 23, 2007]
    Excuse my ignorance, I'm way out of my depth here. So if this doesn't make sense I apologise...

I'm looking into getting the Koni FSDs for my A3. From what I can gather there isn't an off the shelf package from Koni so it may be a bit mix and match. One of the questions I've had asked has been whether 'the front sub struts are 55 mm strut towers' or some such Swahili. Basically I think they need to know the diameter of the front shockers??? I've no idea and I wouldn't even know what to measure so I'm throwing this question out to you. Help me out here :)

Car is a June '06 A3 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line. I think the 'Quattro' is the important bit.

And if anyone is interested this is because Audi can not resolve the problem of my noisy suspension. I've decided to bite the bullet and sort this myself as the noise is driving me crackers. 800 mile round trip to and from the Highlands and Islands of Scotland on some of the best roads I've ever been on and it really took the shine off. Hey ho...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Jul 25, 2007]
    OK. I know it didn't make sense but as it turned out it was just the diameter they wanted. And the answer is 54.6 mm or 55mm near as damn it.

Move along now, nothing to see here....
  4. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Jul 25, 2007]
    Richard and his one man thread here.

It looks very promising on the Koni front. It seems that by combining the A3 2WD kit for the rears and the GTi MKV kit for the fronts then the job is do-able for the A3 Quattro. Or something.

Another unexpected bonus (?), I got a call from my dealer and out of the blue they're willing to fit the parts for half their normal labour rate. That brings them within a squillion pounds of people who actually know what they're doing. Nice of them to offer though.