1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Camber Adjustment

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by craig_007, Nov 26, 2006.

1. craig_007

craig_007 Member

I've just fitted H&R lowering springs and 15mm spacers all round on my S3,I've also just loosened the 16mm nuts on the bottom ball joint and pulled them out as far as they will go either side,i've read various posts by Glen regarding this topic and i assume this is the correct procedure,from the front end the wheels look to have alot of negative camber !!i I'm wondering if someone could confirm i have done this correctly !! I assume now i should go into star performance and see Jim and get the tracking set up.Thanks in advance for any advice guys.. Craig
  2. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

Yup, that's the way.

With lowered springs you'll still not get a lot of negative camber...maybe -1.0 to -1.5 degrees...the closer to -1.5 per side the better I found.
    Stick with parallel or near parallel (slight toe out) if you want to give it some feel and not wear the tyres too fast.

Be aware that you will have -2.0+ at each side at the rear unless you have already fitted the adjustable rear arms....this is too much.
    It makes the back less planted and kills the inside edges of the tyres...if you've not already fitted the adjustable arms, you should look to do so ASAP.
  3. craig_007

craig_007 Member

Thanks for that Glen,when i'm looking at the car head on it does appear to be toe out(apon looking i would say far to much!!)
    Glen,did Jim at Star set your wheel alignment for you or will i need to tell him what i'm after regarding toe out etc ??
    Thanks for the info regarding the rear camber,i was unaware that it would have to much,i will now look into the rear arms.
    Thanks again Craig
  4. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

Star did it...but it was Brian doing the work.
    Jim knows the car though.

Ask him to get as much equal negative camber as possible on the front...with either zero or close to zero toe out...I was running 2 minutes per side.

Mine would wear the inner edges due to toe and camber combined...but I didn't do many miles and perferred the feel...if you do lots of miles sticl with parallel toe.

Jim/Brian will know what you want if you mention these values aspecially if you mention me!
  5. darko

darko Member

6. craig_007

craig_007 Member

Was in at star today talking to Jim,decided to fit adjustable rear arms then do wheel alignment,apon the information that Jim and Ess 3 gave me it seems to make sense doing this now rather than leaving it until i've been through a few sets of rear tyres !!!
    Cars booked in for Thursday,I assume theres no other benefit to fitting these,will just allow car to be setup correctly ??
    Looking at about £500 all in :sadlike:
    Is there a design fault with the oem rear arm as i have seen a few post regarding snapped items ??
  7. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

the oem ones snap if you've lowered the car and I think fitted spacers without any tie-bars. the oem ones are just not adjustable as far as I know. and the adjustable ones are oem ones that have been machined to include the alignment bit.

Just wanted to ask you, as I'm fitting my tie-bars soon. How much would anyone recommend to run the rears at? I've got 20mm spacers on the rear on standard 17" Avus, I though -1.5 as Glen has said? but would this be ok with the 20mm spacers?
  8. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

They won't necessarily snap just because you've lowered the car and fitted spacers. It has happened to a couple of S3's, but the cause has only been hearsay.

The car works very well with the rear camber set at -0.5°, as suggested by Glen. And yes, with 20mm spacers you will have scruffing issues.
  9. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

I ran lowered on standard tie bars for 18 months to 2 years...and drove the way I normally do, and the standard tie bars were fine.
    Looking at the rear suspension design I can't see why lowereing would cause a tie bar to break any more than running at standard height.

True...I would probably have scuffed at 0 degrees - which I would have liked to try - but with 16mm spacers and ET33 wheels there was no scrubbing at -0.5 degrees although it was close.
    If you are concerned, set the rear camber closer to -1.0 per side to give you a few mm's extra clearance...it'll not affect the handling too much.

Theres nothing worse than scuffing tyres...I just won't live with it...

* But of course, all this is just made up as I'm an 'internet expert' who's done nothing... *
  10. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Holding a grudge about something there Glen? Hahahaha
  11. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

On the road out of Blairgowrie, head north towards Breamar, its a bad road but I scuff there if I'm pushing it :( Gives me the shudders every time. I have 16mm spacers, -0.5° camber and et35 RS4 reps on just now. Fortunately it doesn't happen at the rears too often as it's not something I'd want to tollerate for the sake of vanity.
  12. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

Me? No...:noway:

It appears to be obvious to some though...
    Damn, and here's me thinking I'd got away with it all these years.
  13. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

I suspect that's the same bump that chamfered my sump's low point on my S3!

Not nice...