1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Bumper/Bodywork Question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by DoubleJ, Apr 6, 2013.

1. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Member

Hi all,

I am new to the forum after recently breaking my own tradition of having VW Golf GTI's (MK2 then MK4). Last month I picked up an '05 A3 TFSI Sport Quattro in Akoya Silver completely standard...for now. I went a bit mad on the Forge and Awesome websites so modifications are in the pipeline.

Anyway back on topic, I will shortly be moving away to a sunnier continent and taking the A3 with me. Where I am heading they have the smaller US size number plates. The front bumper I have has the UK size number plate indentation and it seems that one of the previous owners made a number of botched attempts at drilling the number plate holes. With the smaller number plates fitted I am 100% sure that these holes will be on show. My question is, is there a way of filling the holes or at least making them less visible? Eventually I will probably invest in a new bumper but I am in need of a temporary fix as it's going to look extremely tacky.

View attachment 13750

The rear should be fine as the holes are closer together and can probably be re-used.

Sorry it's a bit text heavy, I will get some decent pictures up once she is clean and my parts have arrived!

Thanks in advance!
  2. br20vt

br20vt Member

You could have the plate recess smoothed?
    This cost me £100 inc the lower part of the bumper painted gloss black.

[​IMG]
  3. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Member

Thanks! Does sound like the best solution both short and long term. How have you got your number plate fitted? I guess strong number plate sticker fixtures would be best as opposed to drilling, won't be doing any shows etc so doubt I will need to take it off once it's on.
  4. br20vt

br20vt Member

I run a stick on side mount plate at the mo, but yeh best option would be to use some plate tape or magnets behind the grill.
  5. JPK

JPK Member

where are you moving? australia or nz?
  6. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Member

Wrong both times, I'm moving out to the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. Not much of a euro scene out there as expected, mainly Honda and anything Jap. Couldn't see me driving anything else other than VAG so taking the car with me. Get everything I need to get done to it over here then hope for the best haha!