Front brake SMOKING! B5 1.8

Paddymph

Reaction score
Hi, need some help.

My a4 ABS light came on after 60, reset itself. Did that a few times with no issues. Went away and car was stood for 10 days. Came back and after a Short motorway run the front near side brake was BILLOWING wit smoke, I mean really hot.

Sticking caliper?
Dodgy ABS?
Other?

Garage have had a look and I feel a bit fobbed off, brake test machine says theyre fine, reckons its just because was stood for a bit.

Recently passed MOT so im presuming discs and pads are all ok, they certainly look it.

Is it a big DIY job to strip everything down and clean??

Thanks!

Sounds like the caliper slides are seized on take the wheel off and pull back the rubber boots on the slides and give them some WD leave it for ten minutes then try to remove them and grease them up i had one seize on my old 1.8 ADR and that ended up snapping in the carrier.

Pretty much take wheel off, take the two 13mm bolts holding caliper to slides, remove caliper and secure in a position where its not just dangling on the brake hose, then there should be a nut end on the slides iirc around 14-16mm (cant really remember lol) if you do find there siezed then make sure you WD and leave as if there pretty bad they may snap in the carrier then you will be off to the scrappers to source one as i did.

And yes im a mechanic well technician is the modern day term lol

You sir are a legend thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.

Btw, would this have been causing my abs light to come on at motorway speeds?