Front brake caliper sticking on

joegraham

Reaction score
Hi all

Recently my front driver side brake caliper has started sticking on. The problem is intermittent, the first time it happened was 35 miles into a drive, and it happened again the other day on the way to work it was sticking again, I noticed it was sticking as soon as I set off.

Both times I have let the brake cool down, gone back to the car and it has been fine with the brake released.

Anyone else had this?

Im thinking its the seals on the pistons have perished or the brake slider pins are corroded?

Thanks

Joe

if the seals had perished there would be a good chance there would be brake fluid everywhere and no brakes!

most brake sticking problems are caused by corroded pistons in the caliper or corrosion behind the seals causinf the seal to grip the piston

forget trying to free it off just get a reconed exchange unit

It could also be a collapsed brake line not letting the fluid flow back

had this happen to me last month ... bin the old caliper and get new one

Thanks for the reply! Yeah by the perished piston seals I meant that they had perished and allowed the pistons to corrode, just didnt make it clear! Haha

Ok I will check the brake lines before I start taking things apart.

Cheers for the help.

Wheres the best place to get a recon'd caliper from?

got mine from tps is was only 70 quid exchange

Will my car have the ATE brake calipers? As far as I can make out it will, just want to double check as im going to order the slider pins/bolts at the same time in case the old ones are a pain to get out.

breaks are so easy to bleed just clamp the rubber break line off undo then when caliper is fitted remove and get someone to pump the pedal as you undo the bleed valve there will be a guide on here somewhere telling you how to do it