front arb to match r32 rear

daz-20vt

Reaction score
Hi guys. ive been reading up on this a lot since buying an r32 rear arb and i see that most just upgrade the rear , but with a few saying that the arbs both being 19mm makes the car a touch twitchy at speed got me thinking id like to also do the front. although i dont want anything extreme and i lime to keep things oem so was wondering if anyones running a tt 20mm front or a3 quattro 21mm front arb. Im pretty sure they will fit but with only being slightly higger is there a gain to be had? any help would be great as always thanks guys. daz

By the way im wanting to help keep the car flat but want a more nuetral balance as why ive ruled out the r32 23mm front bar

While your on the subject Tuffty I've been offered a front neuspeed 25mm for a good price but I'm a bit worried its too thick any thoughts? I already have the Neuspeed 22mm rear fitted

Only front end setup mod worth doing would be the lcr/s3/tt quick rack and hubs :ftw.

While your on the subject Tuffty I've been offered a front neuspeed 25mm for a good price but I'm a bit worried its too thick any thoughts? I already have the Neuspeed 22mm rear fitted

Its all relative... keeping the ratio between front and rear ARB's will decide the balance... hence 23mm/19mm R32 ARB's are std slight understeer balance... with a 22mm rear and 25mm front then that should (in theory) afford a more neutral balance (you will be quite over steer orientated at the moment I would imagine)... however... thicker ARB's will add spring rate so the overall ride will be effected too..

Have a read to remind you :)
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...mance-testing-day-%96-pt8-anti-roll-bars.html

<tuffty/>

Hoggy wjat do you have up front at the mo? tuffty for some unknown reason i knew you would reply first?? i just want to lose roll and comliment what i have and from essfree's thread the nuespeed is the hest front when using the 19mm rear. although i cant believe by his working out that a 2mm bigger bar is twice as stiff. by this theory an extra 1mm upfront will at least have an effect surely ?? that would be a 20mm audi tt front arb. Love to hear if anyone has done this. thanks for all comments guys.

Dave i think your right hut thats why im more interested in having a bigger bar but not so big to bring back the understeer. the 22mm front 19 rear is meNt to be very nuetral from what i read. i just want to lose the twitchy nature of the equal bars and have the front that bit stiffer. are you running anything different dave? thanks

Here is some chart for anti roll bar stiffness: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/BL-281.pdf
So 23/19 would give You a bit less understeer but should be very safe to drive. If its supposed to be a toy for snow tracks etc. then 19/19 bars would be nice..

And You can not straight compare ARBs which are from different manufacturers. Some other company may use stiffer grade steel which also effects..

Is anyone having whiteline adjustable bars?

EDIT: Also wheel alignment and the rest of the suspension (springs, shocks, even bushings) effects for the over/understeering.

Last edited:
I run a neuspeed front arb and r32 rear, bilstein shocks.. cant fault it

Pat did you do both arb's at the same time or rear first and then the front?

bbuuba i think your right about not being able to compare sizes across brands. giess different materials must be a factor.

what is the standard ARB sizes? front and rear? sorry, i have asked before but keep forgetting. I think its 19 front and 15 rear? I would have thought that if you upgrade the rear to 19mm so you have 19 front and rear you would make the car over-steer? Dave?

I have upgraded the rear to 19mm but i have also upgraded the front to 22mm so that's an increase of 3mm at the front and 4mm at the back. So proportionally i have increased the rear more and it has definitely cured the under-steer i used to get.

Point of interest -- I have just put some 20mm spacers on the rear and that seems to have increased any sensation of over-steer that i get....is this because the ARB at the rear now has more leverage to do its thing?

Also Daz, you say you want to keep the car flat? Are you still running on standard shocks and springs?

Hi alex. yeh im running standard suspension at the moment but im going for the ap shocks and springs kit. but i want to get it all fitted at the same time to heighten the improvements. your right about the standard sizes by the way and by putting a larger one up front but with a smaller proportionate gain to the rear is exactly what im thinking. so what is your 22mm arb up front? thanks

i have neuspeed 22F and 19R, i changed my shocks and springs at the same time like you are planning to do. I was more than happy with how it turned out.

Try the R32 arb on it's own first - most people don't opt for a front bar because the R32 RARB alone is good.

Im starting to think your right. its got to he a massive improvement over stock set up. thanks all!!