Front ARB - question for people that have had them replaced.

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

I'm 99% sure that the front ARB on my car is shagged, visible rust around the bushes and I'm kicking myself very hard I didn't get it done with the steering rack a few months back.

My question is has anyone had a bush fall apart or start too the point the ARB probably isn't held to the subframe on one side and what affects did this have on the handling as I'm hoping it's the cause of some interesting traits my car has developed of late but don't want to state them as that might cloud your judgment - over to the audi-sport collective.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben.

dont know but if its the bushes only you should be able to do these in situ. Id imagine you would get a swaying action at the front if one sidde was kaput

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same and what kind of problems they had, because basically it's led the front of the car to feel very unsettled under most situations (which makes sense to me) - it's not just a case of the bushes as the rust has made the paint flake off around the bushes so it'll be another expensive one.

I was told by my local Audi garage that my bushes were gone and the bar needed replacing. Unfortunately I was away on a driving trip the next day so I did nothing about it. In fact I left it like that for another 20,000 miles with no problems - just that annoying creak.

Any chance your handling issues could be related to the new steering rack?

No this is the strange thing the steering actually feels more solid than ever and I think I (like normal) have the worse case possible of the bush / rust on ARB I think the ARB is now free to move around a little in the mount on one side which I think is causing the problems I've got as everything else in the steering / suspension is pretty new.

I had a similar problem and when I got round to changing the front ARB bushes I found that one of the sleeves on the ARB had split. I have now ended up changing the front & rear ARB's & bushes as the rear had the same problem.
What a difference it made. The steering is now back to normal and NO squeaks.

i'm having front and rear H&R ARB's fitted next week. If you want to buy my old ones PM me.

i have creak, im puttin up with it til i get my R32 ARB's on, creaks not too bad only when touchin speed bumps apart from that nothing else really..