1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front ARB needs replacing?

.Ben. Nov 28, 2012

1. .Ben.

.Ben. Member

Just taken my new-to-me S3 for a check-up at a garage.

On my drive home last night, I'd noticed a slight knocking noise from the front, present when I went over larger bumps.

The garage have just told me that my front ARB bushes are shot and that I'll need to replace my whole front ARB at a cost of over £400.

[Fitted ARB and Bushes = £350 / Full alignment = £90].

Is this right? Are there any alternatives or is it something a competent DIY spanner-wielder can do?

2. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Surely just do the bushes and drop links. I doubt the arb is broken? They're probably having you on...

3. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

Fit the arb and bushes yourself and then just pay for the alignment. Its not a hard job just takes a bit of time dropping the subframe and so on. Save the money on the labour charge and spend a little on poly arb and steering rack bushes instead along with obviously a new arb.

4. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

I had front and rear Golf R32 ARB's fitted 5 years ago and that was 500 quid,brand new not used ARB's btw

5. .Ben.

.Ben. Member

Thanks guys.

It's not that they're suggesting the ARB is broken, just corroded at the contact points - apologies for not making that clear...

The mechanic intimated that he could replace the bushes (£90 fitted) BUT if the ARB isn't replaced, the bushes will be compromised again in <12mths.

@Jason: Just familiarising myself with this site -and this may be a silly question- but is there a 'How To' on replacing the ARB/ dropping the subframe?

6. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

7. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

Erm not sure. Dont think i`ve ever seen one myself? I`ve done it on my gf`s old Leon quite a while back but i just did it by getting under the car and just undoing whatever i thought needed to be unbolted lol.

Edit: There you go above lol

8. .Ben.

.Ben. Member

Voorhees: Legend. Love you long time.

Now all I need is a 'friendly' TPS contact... (anyone?) :whistle2:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012