Front ARB Droplinks, Rear Springs and Brakes (discs and pads)

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Car - B7 2.0 Tdi, Sline 140hp CVT Multitronic

Right folks, finally changed the DMF on the car, which was causing all the engine rattle at the hot start-up. It is unbelievable how smooth and quite the start-up actually is - feels like a new car now.

The start-up problem was reported in this thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-please-what-is-this-sound.345636/

The car is due an MoT next month and I asked the garage to do an inspection on the car and it came with the below advisories:

1- Front ARB drop link bushes have perished.
2- Rear coil springs corroded.
3- Rear Brakes on the limit.

It seems 1 and 2 above are another "common" problem on B7s along with oil pump and balance shaft issue

Front ARB Drop Links

I recently replaced lower rear linkage arms on the car and they are lemforder. Garage said they can source Sachs but I can see ECP do Lemforder drop links as well - any ideas? Shall I say Lemforder or go Sachs?

Rear coil springs corroded
Not an immediate fix and therefore can wait. It is an Sline and I am thinking of staying OE as I am happy with the current setup. Wife drives the car and not sure she'll notice any difference. If it is just the springs, which one would you guys recommend?

Brakes
Discs and pads were replaced and we have done nearly 18k since I bought the car Jan last year. My initial thoughts were to change pads and discs all round but now thinking of just changing pads. What do you guys think. Garage said the discs are fine and we only need the rear pads replacing.

If I was to change, I am thinking of MTEC Drilled and Grooved and Mintex pads from MTEC website. The PR code for the discs is ILB and IKD.

Would appreciate you view/suggestions on the above.

Last edited:
I'd swap over the discs aswell now and be done with it, MTEC are a good choice and not silly money for what you get.
If I was changing the springs now i'd replace the dampers aswell, same applies really as doing it altogether saves a lot of messing around later on.

Reactions: martin1984 and V6_Man
Cheers @Just Rob. For dampers/springs would you then recommend staying OE or ??

MTEC is £168 for all four discs and pads and will be delivered tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it's just for your good lady to use then just get oem spec items, or direct replacements plenty of choice .
I have an almost new pair of oem rear springs that were fitted last year and only covered about 10k on them , yours for a few quids plus postage.

Reactions: V6_Man
Cheers bud. Are they the same for Avant and Saloon. If so, PM me the price and We’ll sort out everything.

Also, what do you reckon I go for the ARB droplinks; Lemforder or Sachs?

i have found lemforder to be fine.....
is your's a saloon or avant chap .

Saloon. 2.0tdi Sline.

GSF doing 55% off if you don’t mind parts from them
Use code OFF55

GSF doing 55% off if you don’t mind parts from them
Use code OFF55

Cheers mate. Just had a quick look and they do do some good stuff. Do you happen to know what their premium brand is. It is quite handy for me as the one in Oxford is right next to my garage that I recently started using.

Cheers mate. Already did and stuff reserved.

Lemforder drop links only. Wanted to buy ATE brake pads but they didn’t have them in required figment. They had Brembos, Vtech and Jurid. Don’t want to replace the discs now so decided to go ahead with rear pads only through ECP. Picking up both tomorrow.

For springs they have Sachs, which although good I think I will wait until next month and maybe go either Koni or Bilstein or just Eibachs. Not sure yet tbh. I am a bit of a PIA (Pain In the ****) when it comes to making a final decision