Front airbag sensor replacement

rick28

Reaction score
Hi

I have a faulty front airbag sensor on my 2004 Audi A3.

I have sourced a 2nd hand replacement and thought I would replace this myself as it looks to be a simple job from looking at my Haynes manual.

Typically this simple job has turned into a nightmare. The problem is the two socket head cap scews that hold the sensor in place are stuck solid. They are both now rounded so I will have to try some other method to get them out. I was hoping someone could advise me on the exact size thread of these two screws so I can source replacements for if/when I finally get them out? I dont really want to risk trying getting the screws from the other working sensor out as no doubt those will also end up rounded

Sensor - part no 8E0959651B

Fault code

01738 - Crash Sensor for Front Airbag; Drivers Side (G283)
011 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

what i do with those screws is get a good pair of wire cutters , hold them straigth forward onto the head of the bolt ,placing one cutting edge into the centre of the bolt and the other on the outer ,them give them a good squeeze so that it cuts into the bolt head slighty and them give it a good grip whilst using forward pushing pressure and try to turn the bolt to undo it .
usually works first time

what i do with those screws is get a good pair of wire cutters , hold them straigth forward onto the head of the bolt ,placing one cutting edge into the centre of the bolt and the other on the outer ,them give them a good squeeze so that it cuts into the bolt head slighty and them give it a good grip whilst using forward pushing pressure and try to turn the bolt to undo it .
usually works first time

I don't think I will be able to get much forward pushing pressure due to the location of these particular screws. I have tried a few things like tapping in a slightly larger torx bit but that has just made it worse and still hasn't budged. I also made a groove with a metal saw in the screw so I can hammer a screwdriver against it in an anti clockwise direction but again, doesn't budge.

Was considering taking it to the local garage to see if they can try with the various tools they will have rather than me go out and buy all sorts only to use once. This is why i was wanting to see if anyone knew the screw size required so I can replace the sensor at the same time as the old screws will be totally battered if they do ever come off

Managed to hammer on a 9mm Irwin bolt grip nut in the end which did the job. Sensor replaced now and fault has cleared. Screw size is M6 x 40 should anyone come across this thread in future.