From wood Trim to a sexy gloss back trim

billybravo

Reaction score
Website
www.topgearstockport.com
Well the job is done i thought i would stick this in its own tread. The hardist part was pulling off the trim clips on the backside of the dash few little cuts on my hands :( lol

I removed all the trims and gave them a really good rubbing down with 600 wet&dry's the wood already has a clear coat so i didnt need to prime the wood. The handles had to be plastic primed i used a whole can on the handles and when dry flatted down with 800 wet&drys.

I then coated everything in black nice light coats and a rub down with 1500 wet&drys after every coat (was spraying outside this was to get rid of bits of crap in the paint)

then a few coats of clear over everything

when they was dry i flatted everything down to a matt look with 1500 and gave them a good polish back up to gloss.

im very happy with the out come cost me less than 15 quid for the paint and a few days work ;)

IMAGE_00036.jpg

IMAGE_00030.jpg

IMAGE_00032.jpg

IMAGE_00034.jpg

IMAGE_00024.jpg

IMAGE_00031.jpg

very nice but wat made u go4 black? i would have went for maybe silver? good job tho :icon_thumright:

Really nice job there mate. I've the wood trim so I was thinking of a similar job as the price of a new set is crazy. Can you post up a list of the material you used if you don't mind. I've a feeling I'll have a busy weekend either this week or next week ahead of me.

I for one like that a lot, In fact its inspired me to paint my console trim :sorry:
As i cannot get a carbon one to match my trim, shiny black is a good compromise

billybravo, how did u get the paint so smooth and shiny? wish a can paint like that :salute:

What a finish you got there. I have the wood trim but have cream leather so i dont think it looks that bad.

Would love the Carbon Fibre ones.

How much of a job is it to replace the trims?

nice one billy!!! looks awesome

to get a finish like that just make sure you give them a good rubbing down to a matt finish then give them a good buff

as for how big the job was not that big really

i did all the door cards one weekend then the dash the next the dash is the hardist as the clips arnt very nice to non german ppl lol

the whole centre console has to come out to get to the clip behind it and also the handbrake console has to come out take that out first then the dash one.

bump. bringing this back from the dead.
first off, it looks fantastic. blacked out interior=hot!
second, what type of headunit is that? the red matches really well, one of the best looking headunits ive seen.

Looks like a nice fob, i trimmed mine in alcantara and cut my hads to bits up the back of the dash pulling at the "metal disc" clips,that was before i realised if you turn them like a nut they thread themsleves off the plastic pegs. I sanded glied and trimmed the aluminium trims though which are apparently sought after

PhilR said:
Looks like a nice fob, i trimmed mine in alcantara and cut my hads to bits up the back of the dash pulling at the "metal disc" clips,that was before i realised if you turn them like a nut they thread themsleves off the plastic pegs. I sanded glied and trimmed the aluminium trims though which are apparently sought after

Sounds like a nice if not painful touch, have you got any pics you could post up of it?

That is **** hot, wish I could do the same to mine. pretty sure I'd make a crap job of it though

What do you use to polish with to finish? Would you recommend the same procedure for exterior minor repairs, its for my daughters old Fiesta bumper which I repaired and sprayed with cans but couldn't get a good gloss finish to match.

And now she has scraped the mirror so another job for the weekend..anyone want a 20 year old daughter?

Ooooh don't ask that around here, might get some dodgey answers ;)