Friends just bought a Evo X 300sst...

DJ-S3

Reaction score
As the title says, I know your all going to say the build quality of the s3 is better, but I was wondering which would be faster?

His Evo, or my stage 2+ S3?

Now I'd imagine his would destroy me 0-60 but on a run mine might claw it back/keep up with him....

I know the SST has the flappy panel gearbox and the gear changing is seamless, which is the obviously far superior to my manual, but it didn't feel as quick when I was sat in it.

Whats your thoughts guys and girls?

Yes I know it's a silly question and a childish thing to think about, but its my birthday today, so be nice please :D

Dom

4wd on the Evo is very clever as we all know, so the bends might be a little better for him, but stage 2+ on the straights your laughing, so long as your nifty with the manual box.

Happy birthday mate! i think this thread turned in to a happy bday thread :D

Until he maps it...!
Just sleep sound in the knowledge he has a plastic fantastic lairy Jap monster, and you drive an Audi!

Happy birthday dude!

I have just come from an EVO IX fq360 MR and to be honest it would leave my standard S3 behind, what power its your Stage 2 ???
I find the S3 to be a much better all rounder. The EVO is a better car when going flat out on the B roads but how often are we doing that... The biggest downside to the EVO in my opinion is the fuel... I could only ever get 200 mile to a tank on a run down to Wales it wasn't the cost of the fuel its the trouble finding a petrol station that did 98+Ron where I go...

So the EVO is a faster car but to live with everyday I would have the S3..... I wouldn't mind getting mine mapped and seeing how it compared then... I still think the evo would be quicker on the bends

Reactions: DarkBunny
Tested an EVO X FQ330 SST a while back when I was looking to replace the last S3.

Yeah it was quick but I found the power delivery was quite peaky and felt less `punchy` than the Stage 1 REVO S3. Really seemed to have to wring it out to make it feel quick. Steering and handling were much sharper though.

The interiors in the X are Ok too, not premium by any stretch but much better than earlier EVOs.

TBH I was tempted but it didnt feel like a great leap in performance and after some forum digging it appears that dealers are pretty hot on remapping and will void your warranty if you do as apparently map switching for dealer visits isn`t possible.

Prices seem pretty strong too since there are no plans for another EVO anytime soon.

Reactions: DarkBunny
My S3 is Revo stage 2+ so about 360bhp and same torque (haven't had it RR'd yet) we've had a little play (private road of course) rolling start in 2nd, I started to pull away only slightly, but when I changed gear I dropped back to about half way down his car with my drivers door. Then pulled it back to the top of 3rd and then dropped back when I changed into 4th. I'll be honest, my 2nd to 3rd change was terrible!! Messed it up infact. Ha. But that gear box is unreal! There's no dip in power for him.

Yeah I know what you mean, it doesn't have the kick like mine does, it's deceptively fast! I actually thought mine would destroy it just because when I was sat in it, it didn't feel "fast". And the cornering capability is very impressive.

He got it for £12500. 08plate 46000miles.

The thing about the Evo is the handling and the relative speed from a stock car.

The S3 on the other hand is a very comfortable and well made car,but it's heavier,and without a lot of work on the suspension and brakes,it may keep up in a straight line,but it will lose on the bendy bits.

When it's properly set up,and remapped etc etc,it becomes a much better car,and has the handling to match the power,but then a remapped Evo would improve over the stock one too....etc etc.

In your case lack of s-tronic gearbox is where you losing. Believe me it does a massive difference. There is a perfect example of that here:

DSG/Stronic gearbox>manual all day. You'd have to had at least 20-30bhp more to compensate manual gearbox shifting loses.

However:

The more I tune mine the better it becomes, just cant imagine driving it stock anymore, especially having all the suspension bits sorted(ARB + ALK) and later this month stage 2+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: S3Alex
In your case lack of s-tronic gearbox is where you losing. Believe me it does a massive difference. There is a perfect example of that here:

DSG/Stronic gearbox>manual all day. You'd have to had at least 20-30bhp more to compensate manual gearbox shifting loses.

However:

The more I tune mine the better it becomes just cant imagine driving it stock anymore especially having all the suspension bits sorted(ARB + ALK) and later this month stage 2+.

I can appreciate the manual Vs DSG argument,and at the time I bought mine,DSG wasn't an option.

Do I wish I had DSG?.....yes and no.....yes in that it changes quicker,and you can't mash gears,no in that it costs a LOT to get the DSG beyond 400lbs torque.

So I think for anyone at Stg2+,it's a no-brainer,but above that it's another hefty bill.

Not wanting to turn this into an S-Tronic/Manual debate, but I do agree with what Red is saying.

My S3 is a manual Revo 2+ and I love it.

That said, I very recently had a 2013 S-Tronic 2.0 TT as a loan car whilst a panel on my S3 was getting repainted, and I was VERY impressed with the S-Tronic gearbox.

Launching the car from a standstill was great, and the gear changes were absolutely seamless.

I personally prefer the involvement of a manual, but I have massive respect for the S-Tronic gearbox, it's pretty incredible and definitely has a performance advantage over the regular manual transmission...

Reactions: S3Alex
True but must say that dsg goes really well with 2.0tfsi after you've done some mapping:D. Wish I could find a good map for post 2010 cars

Last edited: