Free wheeling.....

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Been meaning to ask this for a while.

Ive heard a few people say that free wheeling haldex cars can ruin the rear diff.

Now i cant see how this is true but would just like to know if its possible?

I like free wheeling haha, saves some ****** petrol.

i know if you tow a scooby ALL 4 wheels must be on the floor or it fookes the diffs. dunno if same applys for quattro.

Popular misconception!

Freewheeling uses more petrol than just letting off the throttle and rolling in gear. Whilst freewheeling, the engine is not connected to the drivetrain and therefore requires fuelling in order to keep running and prevent stalling. If you just let off the throttle and roll in gear, the drivetrain keeps the engine turning over and requires the absolute bare minimum amount of fuel.

Next time you reach a steep hill, keep it in gear and help save the planet! (and your wallet)

why would it?

Well thats what i couldnt figure out, ive had one or two people say it to me and also had the AA say it to me when they came out when my clutch pedal snapped, the guy said if i cant fix it were going to have to get a flat bed out, because if we tow you itll **** the rear diff up.

Never had an explenation to why though.

TBH i wouldn't trust the AA's opinion too much. I got told thatt if he'd got the right tool with him he'd have reconnected the driveshaft on my old polo. I took one look and could see the spline bolts weren't straight which would mean that a) you couldn't just crew them back in and b) the diff had siezed whilst the shaft kept spinning which would mean that reconnecting it would be pointless anyway. Numpty.

Well thats what i couldnt figure out, ive had one or two people say it to me and also had the AA say it to me when they came out when my clutch pedal snapped, the guy said if i cant fix it were going to have to get a flat bed out, because if we tow you itll **** the rear diff up.

Never had an explenation to why though.

because when they tow they lift the front wheels so backs remain spinning, which isnt good for any for any differential. Not sure if haldex would disengage but i wouldnt want to risk it.

i knew that tomlin:whip: lol

because when they tow they lift the front wheels so backs remain spinning, which isnt good for any for any differential. Not sure if haldex would disengage but i wouldnt want to risk it.

It's in the AA handbook that 8L quattro models need to be towed with a towbar and 4 wheels rotating or to be taken by low loader, I have first hand experience of this when my gearbox blew up on the M42.

check your handbook you can tow it for no more than 50 miles with front wheels off ground and speed must be kept low.so only do this to get car in safe place did mine with zero issues

actually AA men have to have nearly ten years experience before thay can apply for a job, they really arent fitters..... my neighbour is FULLY qualified mechanic, all the diagnostics and everything else they are going to need for the 'new world' mechanics (they have to have certain exams from a certain date)

as for the post, freewheeling saves less fuel than if you leave in gear....your DIS may read otherwise but that is inconsistent due to what it is reading through the sensors...... its sumat to do with the valves being 'more' open or sumat like that, had it explained to me but i had a 'blah' moment

also the reason the dont want to freewheel just the back of the car is because its still connected to the prop shaft, which means the rear wheels arent actually free, all four wheels freewheeling however will be fine as your moving all the components of the drive system

Tim

false.... my brother who knows basics about cars and is 22 works for AA. a few corses up north and hes qualified! lol that aint a mechanic isit!

Last edited:
they must have different structures then matey as i know the guy who interviewed him....he did the 'bike' job for several years before turning instructor for the AA..... my mate needed several years under his belt and of those years he needed to be actively working as a full blown mechanic......

granted they loved the fact that he had all his qualies but the basic criteria was exactly as ive said

Last edited:
I've been AA towed with a rigid bar and all 4 wheels on the ground. He gave me the same message as Joe - either a flatbed or a rigid bar.