Free map update service

You apply the updates via SD card, but the service is available for the tech pack and above.

I think he's confused, as he says Tech Pack doesn't get updates but the SD card version of navigation does! That doesn't make sense to me, given the extra cost of the Tech Pack.

Reactions: TonyH38
All I can tell you is that I have the tech pack + connect, and I have the update service. I'm pretty sure that the original information is from an Audi press release or something as well, so I trust it. You could try asking Audi UK on Twitter to be sure, but I do find that dealers tend not to know what they are talking about half the time!

I think he's confused, as he says Tech Pack doesn't get updates but the SD card version of navigation does! That doesn't make sense to me, given the extra cost of the Tech Pack.

Maybe he is confused by the fact that tech pack can still use SD cards for updates, even though it doesn't use SD for the nav data itself?

Can anyone with PNQ standard Technology Package tell me if they successfully updated their maps for free? So far I've only seen people with Audi Connect report this.

Can anyone with PNQ standard Technology Package tell me if they successfully updated their maps for free? So far I've only seen people with Audi Connect report this.

I did it without problems. tech pack without connect. 16.4gb update took quite long to update.

Reactions: Stephen C
I haven't bothered with this update as I think someone said it was mostly Eastern European updates, nothing in the UK

Mine will probably come with it as it will be built in June (2015 model). Just wondering if I made the right choice by not getting Audi Connect. £300 difference would pay for itself if map updates are not included in the standard tech pack.

All Sat Nav's such as Tom Tom, Garmin, etc that one can purchase now all come with Free map updates for life, and you are only paying £200-£300 for. Why are Audi and other car manufacture's not supplying On Board Sat Nav's with free lifetime map updates when one is paying double? I was advised when looking around for possibly a second hand car that for the standard SD based system that it would cost in region of £600 to get an SD card with current maps on!!!! Ouch.....

Hi All

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to pass on some feedback about what I have found out about the 'free updates'.

My A3 went in for its 1st service this week and I asked about the sat nav updates and the girl said I would need to speak to customer service. So I sent my email and I got a call today from them.

The free DAB was a promotional offer that they did so they say. The free sat nav updates was also a promotional offer and this is only for a 12 month period, again so they say, so I logged it as a dissatisfaction but I bet I won't hear from them again.

So with this I'm 50/50 on what to do, either leave it for a while and then update (depending on cost) as I'm not able to update it myself from myaudi site but not too sure on the cost.

Is there a way to do it cheaper or be safe and get audi to do it.

Reactions: Keithdon
Hi All

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to pass on some feedback about what I have found out about the 'free updates'.

My A3 went in for its 1st service this week and I asked about the sat nav updates and the girl said I would need to speak to customer service. So I sent my email and I got a call today from them.

The free DAB was a promotional offer that they did so they say. The free sat nav updates was also a promotional offer and this is only for a 12 month period, again so they say, so I logged it as a dissatisfaction but I bet I won't hear from them again.

So with this I'm 50/50 on what to do, either leave it for a while and then update (depending on cost) as I'm not able to update it myself from myaudi site but not too sure on the cost.

Is there a way to do it cheaper or be safe and get audi to do it.

Sounds to me like they are talking complete garbage. AFAIK DAB is now a permanent standard, not a promotion. I am pretty sure satnav updates are also standard (for those that qualify).
Can anyone back up what they told Chris?

Hi snakehips

Thats what I was thinking so not too sure myself, but happy for anyone's help.

Hi snakehips

Thats what I was thinking so not too sure myself, but happy for anyone's help.

But do you have the tech pack? If not then it's a different situation.
(I just checked myAudi and I have a new map update ready to download to SD card, so it's definitely free for tech pack owners)

I hope the Tech Pack still gets map updates because I ordered it based on that assumption!

Sounds to me like they are talking complete garbage. AFAIK DAB is now a permanent standard, not a promotion. I am pretty sure satnav updates are also standard (for those that qualify).
Can anyone back up what they told Chris?

Agree, sounds like nonsense. DAB was added to MY14 cars as standard kit. There's nothing to suggest that the map updates are a promotional offer either.

Yet another case of various parts of the Audi machine not having a clue about their own cars, offers or processes.

But do you have the tech pack? If not then it's a different situation.
(I just checked myAudi and I have a new map update ready to download to SD card, so it's definitely free for tech pack owners)

Hi snakehips, I do have the tech pack with SD slots and touch pad but when I go under myaudi website, sadly nothing there for me to download. I wonder if there is something different that needs to be with audi I'm now guessing.

Think I'll contact my dealer in servicing and see what happens.

Hi snakehips, I do have the tech pack with SD slots and touch pad but when I go under myaudi website, sadly nothing there for me to download. I wonder if there is something different that needs to be with audi I'm now guessing.

Think I'll contact my dealer in servicing and see what happens.

When was your car built? The map updates are only available for cars built after approx mid June 2013. Mine was built Feb 2013 with tech pack so I too can't download any updates from My Audi.

My car was built Wk11 2014, Tech Pack, and myAudi is offering me Europe 2014, Complete.

I wonder if this is a later version than what was installed at the factory?

Also- by the wording on myAudi seems to suggest that "The Map Update Service includes the first five biannual updates that follow the factory-installed map version."

Which implies the 5 updates in the first 2.5 years of ownership are free, if you choose not to use all 5 within 2.5 years, you won't get any updates in year 3 for free, even though you've only downloaded say 2 updates.

I think if you check your navigation version you will have the latest 2014 maps. Audi always apply the latest before the car leaves the factory. Mine was built in January and has 2014...

When was your car built? The map updates are only available for cars built after approx mid June 2013. Mine was built Feb 2013 with tech pack so I too can't download any updates from My Audi.

Ah this might explain it, mine arrived in the UK in April 2013 (ordered Sept 2012 as soon as it was possible to pre-order) so this might be why the maps aren't on the site. I will have to see how much Audi charge for the updates.

Ah this might explain it, mine arrived in the UK in April 2013 (ordered Sept 2012 as soon as it was possible to pre-order) so this might be why the maps aren't on the site. I will have to see how much Audi charge for the updates.

Yep, sounds like that's the case. We got a discounted tech pack for pre-ordering, and I suspect this is why we don't get the map updates.

ok - i have 2014 maps but i'm unsure :

1. how to download from myaudi
2. once downloaded what to do.

any help apprciatd !! ??

Have you created yourself an account on MyAudi website? If so, register your car using the VIN. From there there is a tab called " Service", from there you can download the update.

Yep, sounds like that's the case. We got a discounted tech pack for pre-ordering, and I suspect this is why we don't get the map updates.
Mjc,

Did you get any answer on this. Please see my recent post

Thanks
Chester

Hi, I just bought a 2014 A3 and from what I'm reading I'm unable to update the maps on the car? It doesn't even have my home postcode in the version it's running. I've tried updating through myAudi website but when I click download I get "There is no download available for the requested map update." If updating is indeed not possible where can I buy an updated version?

You only get updates if you have the Tech Pack with the enhanced navigation. Even then, you only get the first five updates from the original date of the car which, on a 2014 model, may be exhausted by now.

Not sure if you can purchase updates separately from the dealer but I doubt it.

You only get updates if you have the Tech Pack with the enhanced navigation. Even then, you only get the first five updates from the original date of the car which, on a 2014 model, may be exhausted by now.

Not sure if you can purchase updates separately from the dealer but I doubt it.

Thanks. The unit is using the original maps from 2014. Shouldn't I be able to get at least lasts year's maps through MyAudi?

I can't find where to to put the PIN on the car though.

Very frustrating :persevere:.

Yes you should be able to get some updates, provided the car has the Tech Pack (larger higher-res screen).

PIN is only for Audi Connect services (if the car has that on top of the Tech Pack) but isn't relevant to map updates. These are downloaded from the MyAudi website onto an SD card and then loaded into the car via the SD slots in the glovebox.