1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free map update service

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by cemerson, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

I think he's confused, as he says Tech Pack doesn't get updates but the SD card version of navigation does! That doesn't make sense to me, given the extra cost of the Tech Pack.

TonyH38 likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that I have the tech pack + connect, and I have the update service. I'm pretty sure that the original information is from an Audi press release or something as well, so I trust it. You could try asking Audi UK on Twitter to be sure, but I do find that dealers tend not to know what they are talking about half the time!

4. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

Maybe he is confused by the fact that tech pack can still use SD cards for updates, even though it doesn't use SD for the nav data itself?

5. cemerson

I think it sounds like that yes

6. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

Can anyone with PNQ standard Technology Package tell me if they successfully updated their maps for free? So far I've only seen people with Audi Connect report this.

7. bpnike

bpnike New Member

I did it without problems. tech pack without connect. 16.4gb update took quite long to update.

Stephen C likes this.
  8. cemerson

I haven't bothered with this update as I think someone said it was mostly Eastern European updates, nothing in the UK

9. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

Mine will probably come with it as it will be built in June (2015 model). Just wondering if I made the right choice by not getting Audi Connect. £300 difference would pay for itself if map updates are not included in the standard tech pack.

10. andy203

andy203 181 BHP

All Sat Nav's such as Tom Tom, Garmin, etc that one can purchase now all come with Free map updates for life, and you are only paying £200-£300 for. Why are Audi and other car manufacture's not supplying On Board Sat Nav's with free lifetime map updates when one is paying double? I was advised when looking around for possibly a second hand car that for the standard SD based system that it would cost in region of £600 to get an SD card with current maps on!!!! Ouch.....

11. Chris28

Chris28 Member

Hi All

I know this thread is a little old but wanted to pass on some feedback about what I have found out about the 'free updates'.

My A3 went in for its 1st service this week and I asked about the sat nav updates and the girl said I would need to speak to customer service. So I sent my email and I got a call today from them.

The free DAB was a promotional offer that they did so they say. The free sat nav updates was also a promotional offer and this is only for a 12 month period, again so they say, so I logged it as a dissatisfaction but I bet I won't hear from them again.

So with this I'm 50/50 on what to do, either leave it for a while and then update (depending on cost) as I'm not able to update it myself from myaudi site but not too sure on the cost.

Is there a way to do it cheaper or be safe and get audi to do it.

Keithdon likes this.
  12. snakehips

Sounds to me like they are talking complete garbage. AFAIK DAB is now a permanent standard, not a promotion. I am pretty sure satnav updates are also standard (for those that qualify).
    Can anyone back up what they told Chris?

13. Chris28

Chris28 Member

Hi snakehips

Thats what I was thinking so not too sure myself, but happy for anyone's help.

14. snakehips

But do you have the tech pack? If not then it's a different situation.
    (I just checked myAudi and I have a new map update ready to download to SD card, so it's definitely free for tech pack owners)

15. Stephen C

Stephen C Active Member

I hope the Tech Pack still gets map updates because I ordered it based on that assumption!

16. cemerson

Agree, sounds like nonsense. DAB was added to MY14 cars as standard kit. There's nothing to suggest that the map updates are a promotional offer either.

Yet another case of various parts of the Audi machine not having a clue about their own cars, offers or processes.

17. Chris28

Chris28 Member

Hi snakehips, I do have the tech pack with SD slots and touch pad but when I go under myaudi website, sadly nothing there for me to download. I wonder if there is something different that needs to be with audi I'm now guessing.

Think I'll contact my dealer in servicing and see what happens.

18. the_lecht_rocks

the_lecht_rocks Well-Known Member

when is the next update due ? i colected my car 1st march, was a build week 50 IIRC

19. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

When was your car built? The map updates are only available for cars built after approx mid June 2013. Mine was built Feb 2013 with tech pack so I too can't download any updates from My Audi.

20. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl
    VCDS Map User Black Edition

My car was built Wk11 2014, Tech Pack, and myAudi is offering me Europe 2014, Complete.

I wonder if this is a later version than what was installed at the factory?

Also- by the wording on myAudi seems to suggest that "The Map Update Service includes the first five biannual updates that follow the factory-installed map version."

Which implies the 5 updates in the first 2.5 years of ownership are free, if you choose not to use all 5 within 2.5 years, you won't get any updates in year 3 for free, even though you've only downloaded say 2 updates.

21. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I think if you check your navigation version you will have the latest 2014 maps. Audi always apply the latest before the car leaves the factory. Mine was built in January and has 2014...

22. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. Chris28

Chris28 Member

Ah this might explain it, mine arrived in the UK in April 2013 (ordered Sept 2012 as soon as it was possible to pre-order) so this might be why the maps aren't on the site. I will have to see how much Audi charge for the updates.

24. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

Yep, sounds like that's the case. We got a discounted tech pack for pre-ordering, and I suspect this is why we don't get the map updates.

25. the_lecht_rocks

ok - i have 2014 maps but i'm unsure :

1. how to download from myaudi
    2. once downloaded what to do.

any help apprciatd !! ??

26. Longy

Longy Active Member

Have you created yourself an account on MyAudi website? If so, register your car using the VIN. From there there is a tab called " Service", from there you can download the update.

27. the_lecht_rocks

yes i have a myaudi account, have hit the download but a .jpnl file of only 8kb downloads ????

28. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl
    VCDS Map User Black Edition

29. Chester Draws

Chester Draws Member

Mjc,

Did you get any answer on this. Please see my recent post

Thanks
    Chester