Free map update service

cemerson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got this email from my dealer:

Hi Chris

Thought this might be of interest to you

A3 models with MMI Navigation Plus (Technology packages PNQ and WB4) built from build week 22 2013 (week starting 27 May) onwards now include a free navigation map update service.

The initially installed mapping always uses the latest available version. This can be updated five times free of charge, with one update released every six months.

How can these updates be completed?
Customers can download the map update from myAudi to an SD card (a 32GB class 10 card is required) and upload it to the car.

The first update will be available from Monday 4 November. Free updates will be available from build week 22 and build week 45 every year until five updates are reached. Further updates are available from £186 recommended retail price including VAT (excluding labour charge) at Centres.

How long will the update take to complete?
It may take up to two hours to upload to the MMI. The update is interrupted if the engine is switched off, but automatically resumes at the same point when the car is restarted.

Reactions: Lmg, SportbackStu, Casey87 and 5 others
Thanks, don't understand why cars built before May won't get updates though :(

I've just signed into My Audi and there is nothing there about updating maps on mine. Boo hiss lol.

Perhaps the MMI software before that date wasn't capable of it? You could try kicking up a fuss about it, see if they'll update your software...

Great, thanks for the update. I shall have to log into myaudi as i havent even checked it out yet.

I think both

Yes just checked my audi and it explains exactly as you said 5 updates FOC

Really useful information thanks Chris.

Oh by the way I also noticed they have a system on there for uploading POI's and it will convert them to the Audi language then you can download them to an SD card. I wonder if there is a speed camera database anywhere that can be used with this?

Reactions: Djs3saloon and ivicyrusivi

Oh by the way I also noticed they have a system on there for uploading POI's and it will convert them to the Audi language then you can download them to an SD card. I wonder if there is a speed camera database anywhere that can be used with this?

speed camera POI would be great!!

Give it a go and let us know :)

Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras sell a very accurate subscription based Camera database in formats for all the major SatNav\Mapping companies! If there's going to be one to suit, I'd think you could get it from them.

Here's the compatibility & format list.

Last edited:
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras sell a very accurate subscription based Camera database in formats for all the major SatNav\Mapping companies! If there's going to be one to suit, I'd think you could get it from them.

OOOH it's supported!? -
AudiRNS-EYesGarmin POILoaderCSVSee NavPOInt below

worth noting though... the databases are generally free, but might be easier getting the subscription if its ready formatted

So early buyers get shafted yet again - thanks Audi, way to encourage brand loyalty.

Reactions: johnhugh, Aran383 and mjcourtney
So early buyers get shafted yet again - thanks Audi, way to encourage brand loyalty.

I wonder if it's worth a call to the dealer? I don't think the hardware has changed has it? So maybe you could get the software updated to the boot loader for the maps to run?

Audi will then need to inform your "my audi" that you can download the maps. They may not be advertising it to cut down the number of people bringing in there cars for software updates.

Or you would like to think anyway!

Interesting thanks Artimus will check that out when I get a chance.

Is this the most reliable camera list people know of as according to My Audi there are a number of compatible files including Tom Tom, Garmin etc?

I wonder if it's worth a call to the dealer? I don't think the hardware has changed has it? So maybe you could get the software updated to the boot loader for the maps to run?

Audi will then need to inform your "my audi" that you can download the maps. They may not be advertising it to cut down the number of people bringing in there cars for software updates.

Or you would like to think anyway!

I will be having a word with them, if only to express my displeasure at this.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software limitation but I'm wondering whether they updated the hardware when the Connect option became available, to make it compatible etc, and the newer hardware is required for the updates, even if you don't have the Connect option.

An interesting twist is that my main MMI control unit was replaced a couple of weeks ago. If it's a newer unit, would this mean it's technically capable of the updates?

The database is updated regularly by members for rewards! all submitted sites are checked by site admin before they are entered into the database.

note: most POI's are free, yes! but the Speed Camera database need a paid subscription with monthly updates available for download. I used to subscribe when I used a Tomtom & CamerAlert (their own iPhone\Android app).

No. The RNS-E is the unit in the 8P, not the 8V.
It's the file format that's important, not the make\model Head Unit.

Most car manufacturers use third party Navigation software & mapping. There are not that many different mapping companies or file types, even though head units differ. The new Audi system will be based on a mainstream SatNav device from a different manufacturer, and so it will use their file format. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: ivicyrusivi
not sure in England but here the price for audi connect changed from 200 to 600 in May, this could explain those free updates !

I will be having a word with them, if only to express my displeasure at this.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software limitation but I'm wondering whether they updated the hardware when the Connect option became available, to make it compatible etc, and the newer hardware is required for the updates, even if you don't have the Connect option.

An interesting twist is that my main MMI control unit was replaced a couple of weeks ago. If it's a newer unit, would this mean it's technically capable of the updates?

Ooh you might just be in luck there then ;) have you tried logging into my audi to see if it offers you the updates? If it doesn't it may just be that the dealer will have to inform audi that you have a new control unit?

From discussions with the workshop at my dealers, nothing happens to the cars without Audi knowing about it anyway, so shouldn't be a problem there...

myAudi doesn't show anything but that's not surprising as it'll just be going off the factory spec of the vehicle from the VIN.

Audi of course know about the new control unit because it was a warranty claim (all £2k+ of it!).

So no updates for the standard sat nav either ??? :( bit rubbish!!! Lol

I don't want to say 'you get what you pay for' - but it isn't really surprising that they would provide a service to people who shelled out more in the first place and not to some others to be fair!

I don't want to say 'you get what you pay for' - but it isn't really surprising that they would provide a service to people who shelled out more in the first place and not to some others to be fair!

maybe, TBH was actually surprised audi didn't give it at all, obviously before the noted post above :) most cars I've had gave upgrades to sat navs free or otherwise, I'd even pay for an upgrade like you can do on tom toms and the like !

Yeh, with the proliferation of the 'free' sat navs that recieve live updates these days, it'll all go that way with cars eventually... car makers are always a bit slow to latch on to these things!

Hi all,

Just got this email from my dealer:

Am I missing something?
My myAudi doesn't seem to mention this but my car is a week 42 build.
It just seems to be talking about Audi Connect - that I don't have.......!
Does it take time for this option to appear or am I just being a dullard?

Not sure - it appears on mine. I think there is an update due out around now, haven't checked to see if that is there yet - probably should do!

Hmmm, the option seems to have disappeared from mine as well...

I've emailed my dealer about this to try and work out where it's gone.

Did anyone get any info back on the missing update in my audi ? I haven't heard back so will chase, but still not there any more for me...

I'd also be interested in any updates as myaudi shosw me having Connect (which I don't) but no Sat Nav options.. :think:
I'd ask my salesman but he's on holiday at the mo

I'm chasing my dealer on it now... he's not back in till tomorrow though, been on holiday.

Too many dealers on holiday... They must be doing really well :)

Reactions: rdgc and Dan76