Found rust on your roof?

Took mine to Preston Audi Friday, the Audi guy said its a common problem for A3/S3 on the roof guttering. Audi said they will let me know in the next few weeks.

AS3TOM; Which panels did they spray to sort out your car?

they sprayed the back rear quaters leading into the rails on top of the roof and they also sprayed the roof too!

letting you know in a few weeks...quite a while to wait that, i only waited 2 days to get the go ahead and then for the actual work to be done i had to wait about 3 or 4 weeks for it to get booked into the body shop!

The warranty manager was about to go on holiday for 2 weeks so i caught him at the wrong time lol. Not in any rush to be honest, cant moan as its free!

Got mine back on sat, newbury audi did a great job!
they treated both sides although only passenger side needed the work.
I would advise if anyone has any other paint work they intend on doing soon to get audi to price it up for you, I just asked when i dropped my car off they phoned me later in the day with a very good price so I went for it.
I cant fault any of the work and they even 'valeted' it for me not that it was dirty!

Very Pleased and thank you to this thread for bringing it to my attention:beerchug:

Cheers Matt

S3 hoggy: what other paintwork did you get done at the same time? I may enquire myself over getting my bonnet and front bumper resprayed when mine goes in.

cheers

S3 hoggy: what other paintwork did you get done at the same time? I may enquire myself over getting my bonnet and front bumper resprayed when mine goes in.

cheers

Hello mate I got both rear quaters fully spayed as a few stone chips (low by the wheel arch) were starting to cause some small problems, did think about getting the front bumper done but not too sure if it was realy worth it as mines not too bad.

Good luck with yours mate

Hello Chaps,

I went along to the approved repairer this week (reading accident repairs) and they told me that they were only going to spray the side with visible rust on the roof and then blend in the rear quarter. they also said that if I wanted any additional panels painted they were £100 each, half what they normally ask.

Its a tough one because I have some very minor marks on the rear quarter (parking dent) and the bonnet (stone chip) and a little mark on the rear bumper too and a few marks on the fron bumper also. I'm just worried that the car will end up like a patch work doll. Also even at £100 per panel which I think is good value it still ends up quite expensive as in a perfect world I want 4 panels painted plus the boot trim which is £60, so £460 all in. What do you think guys is it worth the bother? none of the panels are particularly bad but I am a perfectionist...

cheers

Brian

Not good news for everyone it seems.

I took mine into Audi in Perth last week to get them to look at the rust on the roof rails. They took pictures and said they would have to send them off to Audi to get approval. I spoke to the garage today and they told me Audi has refused the repair under waranty because it appears the rust has been there too long and should have been reported sooner so they wont be sorting it.

Not to happy about that to be honest, not sure where to go from here. Is it worth taking it further with Audi directly?

ive tried taking it to audi direct but they wont entertain you, they just pass you to a customer service girl, and they cant do anything.

£100 per panel is unbelievably good value, if Preston audi say that to me i will be getting my bonnet and front bumper done definitely

I took mine to Derby Audi today and he took a few pics (didnt use a paint gauge) said he just needed to send them off to Audi for approval, also said that the paint place that they use will respray the whole roof.

Seems like it varies from place to place.

I might ask them how much they would charge to do my front bumper and bonnet whilst its in if the work gets approved. :)

Ive got mine booked in on monday at hudersfield audi for an inspect.. Roof and rear panels started to rust.. Ill keep posted on progress!! (And ill be checking my doors!! lol)

SJ

Hi Brian!

As stated £100 per panel is unbelievably good value, think of it as an investment if you come to sell the car in the future. Will certainly add value to it...

Anyway you mentioned getting your rear trim done, just thought I'd point you to this.. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=72387

Especially if your cars silver! ;)

Fran

Hello Chaps,

I went along to the approved repairer this week (reading accident repairs) and they told me that they were only going to spray the side with visible rust on the roof and then blend in the rear quarter. they also said that if I wanted any additional panels painted they were £100 each, half what they normally ask.

Its a tough one because I have some very minor marks on the rear quarter (parking dent) and the bonnet (stone chip) and a little mark on the rear bumper too and a few marks on the fron bumper also. I'm just worried that the car will end up like a patch work doll. Also even at £100 per panel which I think is good value it still ends up quite expensive as in a perfect world I want 4 panels painted plus the boot trim which is £60, so £460 all in. What do you think guys is it worth the bother? none of the panels are particularly bad but I am a perfectionist...

cheers

Brian

hi folks - suppose i shouldn't really be here as i only have have a tdi owned since new[2000]. Only found the rust by accident while i was leaning on car. As i've had several minor spray jobs done by independants i thought lets have a looky. Removed the strip and rubber seal to reveal the weld. For a decent job the whole length of the roof rails need grinding[labour intensive]. I have three areas on the passenger side and four on the drivers. The rust will return very quickly as water can sit under the rubber. regards

Hello,

thanks Fran, yes I thought £100 per panel was good value too. The reality is that me spending £500 on paintwork wont actually add any value to the car and in terms of resale I suspect will do very little. My car is in superb condition for a 2001 car, it just has some very subtle marks that I notice when I clean it. Parking dents really irritate me as people are so inconsiderate in car parks, particularly supermarkets.

cheers

Brian

Took mine to Dover Court Audi in Bristol

Approved after waiting for a month

Booked in for Mid june

Hi found a tiny patch of rust on the drivers side roof of my 2000 1.8t, took it to Chingford Audi (where I saw Ronnie O'Sullivan purchasing some new cars) last friday, they took pictures and measured the paint, got a call back the following tuesday saying that it had been approved for repair and is booked in for this coming monday 1st June for a week .

Although im glad its getting fixed im a little bit anxious as I know it can be difficult to match and blend silver paint properly, part of me would rather have a tiny patch of rust than a roof that doesnt match the rest of the car!

Anyway I' ll let you know how I get on

Wes

Ive got mine booked in on monday at hudersfield audi for an inspect.. Roof and rear panels started to rust.. Ill keep posted on progress!! (And ill be checking my doors!! lol)

SJ

Huddersfield audi don`t do bodywork its all done at Huddersfield VW, Just picked mine up and they have done a good job. Even sorted a bird muck like mark that was on the rear quarter that has been there since I got the car.

I own a 99 model s3 and found rust on the roof. Audi gave me the same old crap "not reported in time, outside warranty period etc". Spoke to Mary in customer service. Deluded **** just fobbed me off. I'm not having it. I'm not forking out £900 to get it re-sprayed, so I'm taking this further...ie Watchdog. Who's with me?

well I did report mine when it had just started showing, It looked like a small repair to a stone chip rather than rust but you could see the original paint had not been broken. If you leave the rust to break through then they can claim its a chip that hasn`t been treated in time.

Anyone in dispute with audi dealerships could ask for the strip to be removed in their presence. The rust starts at the weld and creaps up. Can't see how a stone could damage the weld. On my car there's a few more problem areas that only appear with the rails removed. regards

Mine went in to Tonbridge Audi today. THe work is being done by Ton Coachworks who are approved by several executive brands aston bentley etc so I have high hopes, fingers crossed its not misplaced. HAve a new tdi a3 on loan too so pretty happy atm:kissmyrings:

Well I got a call from Derby Audi this morning telling me mine has been approved.
They gonna have the car for 5 days to get it done.

I got the number of the bodyshop who is doing it and asked them roughly how much itw ould cost extra whilst its in to get the bonnet and front bumper done the guy reckoned about £800 - £1000

I reckons I wont be getting those done haha

Little update, dropped the car off this morning, after a bit of waiting around was given a fully loaded 2009 Audi A6 as a courtesy car , which is massive compared to the A3. They reckon they will have my car for two weeks so we'll see how it goes....

Mine is getting done this week by a mate of a mate. £200 for bonnet, bumper, and rusty roof :arco:

I'll let you know how good a job it is when I get it back at the end of the week.

Can you PM me when it's done mate and let me know how good a job he does ?
Is that a special price cas its a mate of a mate or is that what he charges everybody ?

Cheers
James

Can you PM me when it's done mate and let me know how good a job he does ?
Is that a special price cas its a mate of a mate or is that what he charges everybody ?

Cheers
James

The price is a "special" price but he doesn't normally do this kind of thing day to day. The guy buys damaged cars and fixes them up to sell so he doesn't normally just take any car in for your run of the mill repairs like mine.

I'll let you know how good a job it is anyway when I get it back. To be fair the bonnet and bumper were so stone chipped that it should come back looking mint.

Mine is a S3 July 2001 Roof blistered under paint on the guttering edging. Audi was very good. I rang them booked it in, pictures where taken then 2 weeks later it was booked in and the roof defect was sorted FOC.
When i got it back i noticed some paint was missing from the bottom sill which i wasn't happy with took it back to Audi and this was sorted the week later. So i was Happy. Preston Audi where i took mine use HB Panel Craft so could try direct for panel pricing.

I used Preston audi too, they have approved it today and it is booked in on the 22nd of this month. They use HB panelcraft, i asked them for a price of a full respray to bonnet and front bumper. They said 350-400ish, but they will see what they can do. What do you make of this quote??

Plus i wasnt that happy that Preston Audi wont give me one of their courtesy cars because im under 25, im 24! Why should you be penalised with a 0.5L fiat panda with a lawnmower engine in it if your under 25 but yet you own an audi S3!?

That sounds a good price i would say ask at HB Panel Craft though you can barter a bit with them They supplied me with a Brand new A3 1.9 or 2ltr TDi not sure. Was nice car Alloys etc but was Diesel ha. My car went in on a Monday Morn got it back on the Saturday polished and gleaming. Had problems with paint jet washed off but they sorted that without any problems. Customer service at the Audi and HB where spot on.

Thats good to hear Kingston, i wonder if they will give me something similiar?? I will try my best and barter with them which im good at lol if i do say so myself.

Thats good to hear Kingston, i wonder if they will give me something similiar?? I will try my best and barter with them which im good at lol if i do say so myself.
Just be nice but firm thats all i did and i was more than happy.

At the moment i'm in Hoghton where you from? Had the Car a year in June.

Yes i do love it just want it to go faster. It's quick as it has been tweeked etc but just doesn't feel as quick as it is if ya get what i mean.

Just got my car back from the bodyshop. I had the roof done and my bonnet and bumper. Here's a pic of what the roof was like (I'll get one of what it looks like now when the rain stops). I also got them to spray the grill surround the same colour as the car to see what it looked like. Here's a pic, not sure if I like it or not! Might go back to black?

RustyRoof_small.jpg

Grill_Small.jpg

Were off to our local Audi garage tomorrow for a paint inspection, hopefully it qualifies and gets the roof and bottom of the door done :D

Update
Audi have now had my car for 2 weeks, they took back the A6 after one week and gave me a sh**y Polo, and have now just sent me me a text to say my car wont be ready for another week.
I know for a fact it doesnt take three weeks to fix two small rust spots on the roof. Going to phone them up now to see what there playing at.