1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum resizing(squashing) images

Discussion in 'Site Support & Announcements' started by mark88, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mark88

mark88 Member

Is there a reason why the forum is resizing images within IMG tags?

everything looks squashed.
  2. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

yes its to stop people posting pictures bigger than the forum size, which puts all the columns and blocks out. You'll find it you click on your picture it will open up a new window full size.
    Or you could try re-sizing your pictures 1st
  3. mark88

mark88 Member

The forum has a percentage layout? therefore how can anyone post pics that destroys the layout?

It's was much better the other way. When we have a thread of pics as in the 8P forum, who wants to click every single pic to see it's correct dimensions?

My monitor is 1650 wide, the pics in this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27351 are 480 wide, I got lots of room. As I imagine do most other people. Perhaps we need some other opinions here, I'm sure I can't be alone with this niggle?

PS. Did you just centre align the forum threads?
  4. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

5. mark88

mark88 Member

right but like I said. Who wants to click on 50 images in a thread just to see them full size?

HTML resizing is a big no no because it doesn't resize nicely, so all your resized images, look jagged and scraggy. Which means you have to click them anyway almost.

Not trying to moan but this is a forum, like all other forums it ain't ever gonna win any design awards so with that in mind it would be much better to have the IMG tag render images at the normal size, all the other forums I visit do and so far I don't think anyone has complained.

I just don't see the problem? I might understand if you had fixed width tables but you don't so the forum stretches to fit whatever size screen it's viewed on.
  6. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

those images have just been nicked off another website. If you want to do it properly you would save the images, resize them and them upload them. Then you wouldnt have a problem with them looking all jaggy.

My 30" Dell TFT is [SIZE=-1]2560 x 1600 and while yes everything does fit, it makes the forum look naff as people have to scroll RIGHT to read the text accompanying the pictures.

I'll try and find the code ( which was one of the 1st things I coded) and disable it. Then you can have a look at the photography thread with it off and you'll see how **** it looks.

I have administrated No-Rice, VR6OC, and currently admin 2 other forums, ALL of which have image resizing html code.

Big pictures make forums look ****.
    Resize before uploading

[/SIZE]
  7. mark88

mark88 Member

OK, you have 1 point and that is the text would span the width of the image.

However, why then limit the width so small? I uploaded an image http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=248746#post248746 it looks cack.

In ie, in the forum view it renders 480 wide, yet in Safari on my Mac it renders 730 wide??

Why not limit the width to something more common? 1024x768 is the most common screen size (for the time being, % getting smaller every day) so limit the width to 950 or something?

How many people here have 800x600 monitors still?
  8. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

That will be IE then, if you use firefox you'll find its set at 730px.

The reason why its set as that is, and your right, not many people have 800x600 monitors, but how many people view their browser fullscreen ?
    I dont.
    my server has a 19" TFT running 1280x1024, and I like to be able to the outsides of my desktop incase I need to get to something.

I'll try and find the code and look at it again and change it for IE, IE is the most crappest browser going tbh
  9. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

I have taken of the code that re-sizes images, but you need to have a look at this thread to see what i mean :
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23727

It looks pants and is not how I want the forum to look.

I will put some better code in which works with firefox AND IE
  10. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator