Formula 1 4wd???

There was some mention of this on the Sky coverage this weekend. Along with some insights into the next engine specification that will be coming along.
The next generation of engines are likely to be cheaper and less complex than the existing ones. One of the most complex and expensive parts to get right is the Motor Generator Heat MGH which may be canned. As this extracts upwards of 60% of the energy used to recharge the batteries if they ditch this there there won't be enough charge to run extra motors. Plus the weight and complexity will again increase. So I really can't see it coming off.
But who knows. I suppose the 4WD idea comes from the fact that if they want to recover more energy then fitting a smaller MGU-K to each front wheel will balance up the car a bit, and of course if you have a generator recovering energy it's very simple to also drive the wheels.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-analysis-f1-s-engine-options-past-2020-889758/

What it does mention is more mechanical grip and being able to follow closer in the corners.
I think that might help keeping to track limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk