Forged rods tqs

mikeya4

Reaction score
Is there anything different with an AJL engine, when looking for rods I can't seem to find ones that have that code, are they all the same? Any ones to avoid? Cheers

AFAIK you can use rods for the AEB. Some fettling of the old pump drive may be needed. Things can spiral quickly here though as wear reveals itself so what starts with dropping a set of rods in can quickly become a reborn with new pistons, rings etc. The engines are cheap enough I opted to take a chance.

Thanks for this, I did read about the pump drive and thought it was only an issue if you do start boring? thats my line of thinking, having done a similar thing in my previous 850 t5 just putting rods in seemed to work OK although that definitely needed a rebore but i was stupid and didn't do a compression test, im going to do that first and see, might even try and build up a block out of the car so is fresh and im not rushing, do you know what block I would have/need? engine code is AJL

Cheers

check with the rod supplier.

Some rods have clearance issues on 058 blocks even if your not stroking it. Some vendors used to sell specially clearanced rods for the AEB. Others have designs which work on all engines. I think most of the reputable suppliers now have rods which work on all engines.

AJL and AEB are mechanically identical, AJL just has a factory tune that produces 180hp rather than 150. Most people will have heard of the AEB, its far more common and used around the world, whereas the AJL was only used for a short time in a few special edition models in a limited number of places.

will mine definitely be a 058 block? I was looking at maxspeeding rods (not sure if they're frowned upon here but i've heard good things) they state AEB on their fitment

yes almost all B5's used the 058 block and the AJL is definitely an 058.

Buy some proper rifle drilled rods rather than those that rely on splash lube for the little end.

Most of these rods are the same (probably out the same factory), but companies such as pagparts or integrated engineering take the chinese parts and do additional things to them like rifle drilling to ensure proper lubrication. Costs a bit more, but then you know they're right.

Cool, I have just put some feelers out to local breakers for another bottom end and will rebuild with rods and a decent clutch, then i can do a switcharoo to minimize down time, what clutch do you recommend for a gt2871? cheers

Ah, they only appear to be for 6 speed boxes only?

TTV flywheel was just under 300 with postage direct from TTV and an LUK RS4 clutch kit from carparts4less was 138 deliverd with their 10% discount. Did you use standard size bolts with yours Oranoco as im still at the "collecting parts stage".

I've sent them an email as it says 6 speed only, mines 5

TTV flywheel was just under 300 with postage direct from TTV and an LUK RS4 clutch kit from carparts4less was 138 deliverd with their 10% discount. Did you use standard size bolts with yours Oranoco as im still at the "collecting parts stage".

I have to be honest as time was not on my side the car went to a mates garage to be tackled so I don't know about the bolts I'm afraid.

5 and 6 speed boxes are the same and are interchangable when it comes to the clutch.

Just check the bolts are right and dont stick out too far.

Reactions: mikeya4
thanks, which bolts do i need to use? cheers

I dont know. Some flywheels are designed to use the standard bolts from the DMF

Others use the shorter bolts from the older single mass flywheel cars.

You'll have to measure the thickness of the flywheel where the bolts go thru.

Ah ok, thanks for all your help with everything so far, your a wealth of knowledge with these cars! I've only really worked with mk2 golfs and 850 t5s...

TTV uses the shorter 22mm ones over the 43mm AEB ones. Buy new fora 2001 S3 or similar, they will be fine. Make sure you torque correctly as they are once only use jobbers

Reactions: mikeya4