1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forge DV - stuck?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sakkie69, Jul 19, 2008.

1. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

For those with Forge DV's, how do you know when it's stuck? Is there any moving parts on the Forg DV itself or is it just a solid piece of metal? What happens if the DV is left in stuck mode for extended periods, can that damage anything? I looked on their website and from what I can see the top bit just screws in with the spring in it, does the bottom bit have something that moves?

Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rabbit222

Rabbit222 Active Member

Theres a piston in the top section of the DV, this should be well greased to avoid it from sticking. I am on my second Forge DV now after my first one failed. Apparently Forge has revised the DV to prevent the sticking issue. The DV in essence controls your boost and I would assume your cars power would dip should the piston get stuck.

4. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

I'm assuming the piston you are talking about is the inside piece of metal where the spring connects to. Should I be able to move this piston with my hand? I have the DV in my hand and the only thing that moves on the entire thing to screw and unscrew the top.

5. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

Found this pic, I guess it's bust because there is no way I can take it apart like this

[​IMG]http://bp3.blogger.com/_Lj_oMflYIUU/RvniQDuY1FI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/MEalLCc9qEk/s1600-h/P9190007.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Rabbit222

Rabbit222 Active Member

You should be able to get the piston out using a flat screwdriver. If the DV is in your hand, remove the top section...the part that unscrews. Once thats off, use a screwdriver and push the piston out from the bottom of the actual DV...the small section that slots into your OEM solenoid position.

7. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

got it out, had to push very very hard. Doesn't look like piston has ever moved looking at the lube and oil inside the DV.

8. Rabbit222

Rabbit222 Active Member

Great! Try greasing that piston up as much as possible so that it makes it easy for it to move...is there signs of wear on the piston itself?

9. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

The only marks I see on the piston are where the 2 O-rings from the main housing was. Now that I've lubed it up it is moving a lot more freely, with the spring in place and the unit assembled I can push the piston up with my finger... it's a big change because I really had to force that piston out of there. So looks like it was stuck but now seems fine.
    Just wonder if it might end up being stuck again... guess will have to fit it sometime and see what it does.

10. Rabbit222

Rabbit222 Active Member

I had the same issue with mine and to be honest I'm not convinced that the forge DV is all its cut out to be, thats my opinion. I am still using mine at present but when it gets stuck again, I'm pulling it out and refitting my OEM solenoid valve. You should drive your car with both OEM solenoid valve and Forge DV to get a comparison...you will notice that with the Forge DV, the car tends to surge whereas with the OEM one the car feels smoother.

11. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

Did you replace yours first after being stuck or did you just use it after loosening it up?

12. Rabbit222

Rabbit222 Active Member

I replaced mines as my first one kept on throwing a fault code on VAG COM. Besides the fault code, my car felt like it lost power with the first one and the intake noise was unusually loud. The revised one that I now have seems fine thus far, the intake noise is also not as loud as before and no fault codes on VAG COM