Ford Focus RS (2016)

If it's sub-30k it'll be a pretty tempting option. Where else can you get ~350bhp for that price (not counting modified cars).

RS3, A45 etc? Way more expensive...

Reactions: CJ92
But its still a Focus!!

edit: Althoguh I am still watching it closely lol...my boss is away to order one to go with his two Mk1 RS track cars and his 450bhp Mk2 RS...sigh!

If past Focus RS's are anything to go by, it will undoubtedly have better steering feel than the S3 ;)

The torque steer should be eliminated, now its 4 wheel drive. And its starting on an already sublime chassis......

Reactions: CJ92
I prefer the more subtle look of the S3, although it is a bit less Halfords than the last RS.

Not my cup of tea in the slightest, it may, if the driver can put the power down through a manual, beat an S3 S-tronic off the line but would I care, not one bit.

More of a weekend weapon that an everyday car, as I hear they are rock solid and extremely uncomfortable on longer journeys. I will leave it for the younger boy racers who want a car that is good at the traffic light grand prix races......

I prefer the more subtle look of the S3, although it is a bit less Halfords than the last RS.

Don't knock Halfrauds mate , I bought a typeR badge and the car gained 30 bhp .

Reactions: Kugaman1, Louay, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Yeah but some people don't care all that much?

Personally I'd rather have a slower, better specced Audi, but some people would rather have a cheaper, faster Focus...

I know, I must admit I do like the Mk2 Focus RS and contemplated one before I decided to buy new rather than used.
If it drives anything like the Mk2 then it will be an absolute weapon of a car. My worry is that the 4wd may not be all that as its new to the Focus. The Revoknuckle was wizardry at work and defies all known thought process on a FWD car IMO!

The leaked pictures look a bit more plasticy inside to me, but then until you actually sit in it then that's not something that could really be judged. Will wait and see if my boss buys one or not then decide!

Shame it'll probably break down as much as the website that was supposed to be launching it will lol ;)

I went from an RS6 V10 Avant to a Brand New Focus RS Mk2 back in 2010 & it was Mega!!

It was that good to Drive, I kept it for just over 3 years & even the day I Traded it in for an RS4 B8, I was abit sad to see it go!!

My only Critiscism of it was the poor Sound System & there was no Option to Upgrade by Ford! When your use to Bose or B&O in Audi's, everything just does'nt quite hit the mark!

No doubt that the New Focus RS Mk3 will be a good Car & Fast, but I really do feel that Ford have made a huge Mistake on the Engine front, exactly like Volkswagon did when they switched from the 3.2 V6 R32 to the 2.0T R. The old V6 in the R32 may not have been the Fastest thing around(but still pretty Quick) but the Feel & Noise of it instantly gave you a Buzz when Driving it! The New Golf R maybe technically more Advanced & Quicker with the smaller 4Cylinder Engine, but the Fun/Buzz Element has now been lost...........something you can NEVER get back with the sound of any 4Cylinder unit, no matter what Trickery they do with the Exhaust System!!
These Modern Powerful 4Cylinder Engines are good in their own right & perfectly exceptable in the Semi-Sporty Market.i.e Focus ST, Golf GTI, Audi S3 etc, but when your talking the Top Model like the Focus RS & Golf R, they should have Bigger more Wacky Engines that give you a huge Buzz when you hear it...........the New Audi RS3 is a perfect Example of that!! It'll also make you feel like your getting your moneys worth, instead of a Tweaked version of the same engine in the Model below!
The Chassis was obviously great on the Mk2 Focus RS, but it was the 2.5 5Cylinder Engine that really made the Car & turned it into something Amazing! You could just listen to the Burble, Popping & Banging allday from it!

I also cant understand why there only going to Offer it in a 5Door, when its the Pinacle Model & should be the most Sporty, therefore should be a 3Door!............its the only real thing where I've been Critical about the New RS3 as well!
The Shape of these Styles are just looking more & more like Shoes on wheels!!

On a Positive note, Ford have made the right move on going down the route of 4WD, as many Fast Hatches are that way now & should give less Tyre Wear than the previous Front wheel drive Revoknuckle Mk2!

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ92, buz, Jake 61 and 1 other person
Vauxhall have'nt made a decent Car since the GTE in the 1980's!!:laugh:

Reactions: grchmason and G-S3
You felt like you were Michael Knight everytime you got in one!!:laugh:

GTE 16v's were well Quick in their day...........they just did'nt go round corners!!:D

Reactions: Rob2k68
Don't knock the Focus or Ford. They've always made outstanding sporty cars. This is likely to be a real contender, depending on price. Badge snobs may not want a car with the Blue Oval on it but it will be a great handling and a well performing car. Their sporty cars have always been drivers cars with good dynamic feedback. Have generally been reliable with good residuals. The old Fiesta ST and the last Focus RS are good cases, with good low mileage vehicles still fetching reasonable money and they are well sort after.

I would guess that it will be much more fun and more rewarding to drive than either a Golf R or the S3 / RS3

The one thing that held the last model back, but only a little was the lack of all wheel drive. It's good to see Ford have resolved that. A car like this is likely to make other manufacturers sit up and take notice.

Don't be blinkered by the badge.

Thanks to Honda CTR for posting it.

Reactions: buz, Jake 61, Relliott6879 and 2 others
I would'nt want to class the Lotus Carlton as a Vauxhall...........it would'nt be fair on it!!

..........it was a great Car in its day though!:icon thumright:

So, is this similar to Haldex but with two clutch packs?

Innovative Ford Performance All-Wheel-Drive offers unmatched handling
The all-new Focus RS exploits the innovative new Ford Performance All-Wheel-Drive with Dynamic Torque Vectoring to deliver a new level of handling capability and driver enjoyment, combining outstanding traction and grip with unmatched agility and cornering speed.
The Ford Performance AWD system is based on twin electronically-controlled clutch packs on each side of the rear drive unit. These manage the car’s front/rear torque split, and also can control the side-to-side torque distribution on the rear axle – delivering the “torque vectoring” capability, which has a dramatic impact on handling and cornering stability.
The control unit in the rear drive unit continuously varies the front/rear and side-to-side torque distribution to suit the current driving situation, monitoring inputs from multiple vehicle sensors 100 times per second. A maximum of 70 per cent of the drive torque can be diverted to the rear axle. Up to 100 per cent of the available torque at the rear axle can be sent to each rear wheel.
During cornering, the rear drive unit pre-emptively diverts torque to the outer rear wheel immediately based on inputs such as steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration, yaw and speed. This torque transfer has the effect of “driving” the car into the bend, achieving improved turn-in and stability, and virtually eliminating understeer.

And engine will have well in excess of 320PS, wonder what the final figure will actually be?!?

Worried? What's there to be worried about? There are other, quicker, better handling cars out there than the S3 already ..

I quite like the external looks (not sure about the gawping, fish mouth at the front) but the interior (if my Dad's focus is anything to go by) will be pretty hideous. I don't mind basic interiors (I drove Scoobies for years) but the Focus is a horrid button fest, and lets face it, that's what you will be surrounded by and see most of.

Glad Ford have given us an alternative, but not for me ...

Much prefer the other recently released Ford, 5.0 v8 mustang for me please, black on black

Reactions: elpaulio
Oh, much better than the front/rear Haldex ;)

This is similar to the VAQ e-diff as fitted to the Golf GTi with PP
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/the-new-vaq-e-diff.223773/

The Focus unit controls the rear axle side-to-side, so acts like a limited slip diff.

Cheers V8, knew you would be the one to answer that ;)

Question though, why go to the expense of electronic trickery and clutch packs which imitate an LSD and not just fit a ****** LSD from the get go?? Surely it wouldn't be any more expensive and would be better no??

I suspect (because I haven't examined this system in detail yet) - that the twin clutch pack in this instance, not only does the rear axle side to side control to give torque vectoring, but also replaces the need for a front/rear clutch pack (like Haldex) - so there is a cost saving there, with additional functionality.

Full intro of the RS here 37 minutes long but ken's driving is fun to watch. If it is going to be under £30k then it might be a 60th birthday present to myself..

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake 61, Louay and Jassyo06
Would kill for a proper handbrake in the RS.

The S3 in the snow, with EPB, was just not as much fun.

Cheers V8, knew you would be the one to answer that ;)

Question though, why go to the expense of electronic trickery and clutch packs which imitate an LSD and not just fit a ****** LSD from the get go?? Surely it wouldn't be any more expensive and would be better no??

I think decent clutched diffs like this have the capability to be much better than mechanical diffs.

Depending on software etc. they can respond to a much wider range of inputs (e.g steering angle, yaw angle, throttle position, gear etc.) as opposed to mechanical (just torque / wheel speed isn't it?).

^ to a degree, yes, but of course it all depends on the software and calibration.

eg: Haldex in the S3 and proposed RS3, will never be comparable with a centre diff, that will allow different rotation speeds between front and rear axles.

I'd rather have class over a few extra bhp! Maybe if I was still in my 20's I'd go for the Ford :)

A lot of different opinions on this car,i am just about chop in my MK3 ST3 great all round car,good build quality which has been improved on in the very recent facelift,this RS VERSION WITH 4WD should solve all the torque steer and its fidgety handling "at speed only".l was going to wait another year for this car l knew it would have over 300 bhp,but slightly dissapointed it has only 316 bhp....340 bhp ace..a fully loaded car £34k and you wont get a discount,should be awesome indeed....look at all the posts its getting on a Audi Forum....LOL

Reactions: elpaulio
I'd rather have class over a few extra bhp! Maybe if I was still in my 20's I'd go for the Ford :)

"Class"....?? you mean badge snobbery...lol,the 2015 Ford focus ST is a very well built car indeed...but i do agree about the Age group thing but only the well heeled 20 something will be able to buy/insure this car,more like late 30 something/early 40's

A lot of different opinions on this car,i am just about chop in my MK3 ST3 great all round car,good build quality which has been improved on in the very recent facelift,this RS VERSION WITH 4WD should solve all the torque steer and its fidgety handling "at speed only".l was going to wait another year for this car l knew it would have over 300 bhp,but slightly dissapointed it has only 316 bhp....340 bhp ace..a fully loaded car £34k and you wont get a discount,should be awesome indeed....look at all the posts its getting on a Audi Forum....LOL

I thought they'd only said it will be in excess of 320bhp but haven't confirmed a figure yet?

Wouldn't be surprised if this is knocking on the door of 340/350 with an official Mountune package (preserving your dealer warranty!) taking it to 380+

Reactions: Jassyo06
If they could some how sneak "Cosworth" in to the name then I would actually go weak at the knees for this and get one.

Reactions: Fox5150 and Jassyo06
14028259379 4ddc0b37c5 o
Not overly impressed, don't regret ordering the S3, if I need a Ford RS fix I can always go out in this, the last proper RS Ford made.

Reactions: Jake 61, Pulp84 and nickatkinson