1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Focus RS - S3 rival???

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MacrosTheBlack, Jun 13, 2008.

1. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[Jul 10, 2008]
    Its definately more dumbed down styling wise but I guess thats why I would probably have one.
  2. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Jul 10, 2008]
    I think the New RS should be a decent bit of kit. They will not want to release something that will not be up to scratch. The old one was supposed to be decent and in the dry was quicker than impreza's in some tests.

Will they be limited as the previous model?

I don't think if I had a S3 I would swap it for one because I think the S3 would be a better all round car but I think the RS Focus will be a more focused car like the R26 Megane.
  3. Stan 24v

Stan 24v Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    I reckon the RS will be superb, personally! There is too much hype surrounding it for Ford to f*ck it up!

I reckon Audi will be upping their game to keep up with it, RS3 maybe??? I also think its where VW ballsed up with the Scirocco! They should have gone with the original, and not the watered down verion (looks wise).
  4. julians

julians Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    Its wrong wheel drive.

Make it rear wheel drive or four wheel drive and I'd consider it, but I wouldnt buy any FWD car if I was after a fun car.
  5. dunk

dunk Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    unless you are a track day kind of person, the ring times etc are a bit irrelevant - most of us drive our cars on a and b roads and motorways - i want decent predictable handling so i dont kill myself on a b road, and i want oodles of power to get round the buses, grannies etc, but i want the quality and 'Q' factor that fast audis offer, particularly when i go a lot faster than others are expecting me to...

ive had a 345hp s3 and a 520hp rs4, and the 4wd drive didnt make me faster to work or win me any races, but i never worried about using the power in the rain and letting rip without thought. now i have a 360lb/ft 240hp fwd dsg diesel which doesnt torque steer at all or understeer in the dry, but i cant use the power without thinking, i have to feed it in on wet roundabouts or i get too much understeer ( and lift off oversteer thanks to suspension mods) and its great fun to drive - but i can get past most things without worrying and sit in a great quality unassuming car which makes me smile.

would i swap it for a ford? if it looked like a normal focus but went like the rs from the factory, then maybe, but not with the rs looks
  6. lil_coz

lil_coz Active Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    I dont think so... I've never been to the ring but I've always been under the impression that its exactly where you want your car tested because its not your normal, snooker table smooth track. Its got crests, bumps, dips and the track cambers just like a normal 'a' or 'b' road would.

It would never beat an Audi when it comes to interior quality. But the RS isn't targeted at the same people. I love the fact that it looks raw and hopefully handle great. I think the biggest problem is the stereotipical view of powerful FWD's. Ford may break that view. After all... its what development is all about.

Coss
  7. dunk

dunk Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    actually the more i think about this, the simpler it gets -
    the chav factor!

i would like to drive a fast ford or scooby or a skyline or an evo x for the power/handling/price,
    but i want to be seen (and see myself) driving an rs4 or rs6 or s3 or even an m5 or m6
  8. Iggu

Iggu Active Member

[Jul 21, 2008]
    Big preview article of the RS in this month's evo magazine - three things stand out:

1. They are only making a few - doesn't say exactly but the suggestion is there will be around 450. They'll be like rocking horse **** !

2. The head of development on the RS lists the benchmark cars they felt they were up against when making it - no mention of the S3 at all (the R32 is there though).

3. The interior. If you thought the old one was garish just wait til you see this ...... looks like a hippo's sneezed in there.
  9. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[Jul 21, 2008]
    Mate if mine bought a CTR at the weekend, I used to have one and LOVED it so was looking forward to hooning his about, even though it was (as usual) chucking down with rain.

So, coming from my S3, it quickly became apparent, that although the CTR is a great handling/tractable car and superb fun, its a right handfull in the wet, underlining the limitations of FWD vs 4WD for me.

It will be very interesting to see what FORD do to get all that power down in the new RS.
    Cant help think that the Max Power will care, just think of the burn outs you can do in it !!:rockwoot:

cheers
    Paul