Forced to buy new engine for A6 3.2 Quattro after just 44k miles - Audi only pays 1/2

TJAP

Reaction score
I bought my A6 3.2 FSI Quattro when it was 18 months old from Leeds Audi. It is only 5 months out of warranty, has a FSH with Audi main dealers, and has done just 44k miles.

The engine completely failed 4 weeks ago.

After diagnosis at Audi Watford, I was told it needed a new engine, all because a relatively small and inexpensive item - a n/s bank tensioner - had failed, causing damage to valves and pistons.

I was also told the total bill would be in excess of £10k and that Audi UK would pay at least half of this as a goodwill gesture, with me being asked to pay the remaining £4.2k.

I am extremely brand loyal towards Audi. This is my 5th consecutive Audi, following 2 other A6s and two A4s.

Technically, whilst Audi UK is not obliged to contribute anything towards this repair - I had the option to invest in an extended warranty - I still think they should be making a far more significant contribution, particularly given my brand loyalty but also the age of the car and its low mileage. Everyone that I have spoken to - friends, family, business colleagues - feel that my treatment has been appalling.

I am not looking for Audi UK to fund the entire bill, even if other brands/manufacturers seem to do so in identical situations.

Machines sometimes go wrong but the whole reason for me buying into the Audi brand so passionately over the last 20 years is based around the design and build quality of their engines.

To have such a catastrophic failure with such a young engine, and for that to be caused by a failure of such a small engine component, really has left me shell-shocked.

Any thoughts or, better still, similar experiences? If so, what was the outcome?

Others I've spoken to think Audi UK ought to take the entire hit? Am I being short-changed?

All comments welcome.
Thanks.
Tim

Id say AUDI should foot the whole bill, a engine should be lasting a LOT more than 44k!!!!

Thats awful mate sorry to hear of your misfortune. Personally I would be wanting to know why you were not pre-warned that this particular engine componant could fail and cause catastrophic failure to the engine resulting in huge bills. If this is common then why is there no recall? Who else has been affected and what happened in their case IE did they pay the bill, did Audi or was split?