1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those who don't always want a front number plate for shows....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by smudge_don, Aug 6, 2010.

1. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

#1 smudge_don, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Nutkin

Nutkin Member

too dodgey for uk numberplate wouldnt work

4. subaru swift

subaru swift Member

lol my last name !!! swift ;)

nothing to do with me folks,,,,,, however the cops around my end would love them, as they would fine you. ;(

5. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Why would they?

The whole idea is that you have it up when driving around, and then tuck it away for shows and stuff

6. subaru swift

subaru swift Member

some are very very picky here, if the reg is not in the standard place or anything is a miss ( font or spacing etc ) they will tell you off big time & fine you.

some years ago i had a scooby doo with a standard size reg what got hit by a stone or something & it broke the middle of it.
    so i had a small show one ( my scooby was a import so a small one should have passed the uk laws ).
    & when i put it on & went out for a drive & a bite to eat at about 9pm or so, i had a cop car follow me for 1/2 a mile & pull me over.
    however when i said & showed him my standard size uk reg plate was broke he said i should have not used my car & fined me on the spot ( £30 ).
    so i went to the cop place & show a copper i know after someone hit my old audi 1.8t & he got the fine dropped somehow & said it is the law however your car is a import so you can use a smaller reg but not one with a other font or any other change on it.

but the police here are hot on stuff like that as there is a of racers around here & they are hot on them & other cars too, young or old if they what to stop you & fine you they will.
    also some of the cops are fine they just tell you off & tell you to change it & thats it, but some will record & photo the reg etc.... so they have a log.

pity really but thats life for you mate.....

7. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Sounds like a bitch where you live!!

8. subaru swift

subaru swift Member

sometimes mate sometimes, just folks moan about the racers at a retail park & they have a cramp down now & then.

however saying that i have not be pulled over for 4 years now yayyy :), must be because i dont go that way & keep my speeds down.... .

oh the joys of owning a audi as the cops leave you alone & if you do get pulled its a audi not a full bore scooby doo ha-ha but i do miss the fun i had with her.

however working for my self so needs must needs be.

i do like the idea of the plate above but would it work ok on a audi bumper ???.

9. xs2man

xs2man Member

Nothing wrong with it for the UK except the size of the plate I guess. Wouldn't get the motorised one though, too much to go wrong. Surely the second one on the A3 would be perfect though. Should be a hell of a lot cheaper too.

10. reptor245

reptor245 Active Member

11. xs2man

xs2man Member

Yeah, but surely this is just a plate holder, so you just mount your legal plate on it, and it will be displayed on the front of the vehicle as per UK legislation? Not rocket science.

12. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi Avant Owner Group Audi A6

You guys never seen THIS?

13. Richardesty

Richardesty loves quattro

Yes mate - like every time I step outside my front door......

[​IMG]

I've had mine on about nine months now, and nearly always drive around with it hidden........until I see a police car :angrymod:

Only been pulled for it once, and as it only takes 5 seconds for it to 'appear' - by the time the officer pulled me over and checked the front of the car, he realised he was 'mistaken':blahblah1:

:readit: It's not big, and it's not clever - but hell it gets the car noticed :hubbahubba: