Folding wing mirror lubrication possible?

Wibbly

Reaction score
Drivers side mirror has become slower to open and close than the other and now occasionally gets stuck. Is there a way to lubricate them?

My drivers side one, when I had the A3 saloon, was replaced under warranty for the same issue. Seems like it is a common problem with this..

Had similar issues with my a6. Sorted under warranty. It doesn’t help in the design that the mirror points up when folded so acting like a cup/scoop for rain water and other crap to fall in.

Mine is doing exactly the same and is booked in to get it sorted, they already tried to squirt lubricant round it but it had no effect.

The first free date I can get at the dealer, to include a courtesy car, is 22nd January :openmouth:

I had this on my 8P, it’s hard to get any spray lubricants within the mechanism however once you pop the mirror off I lubed the spring and all works well like new

b9eefc9b8ba45062ffe3672df3b5885a.jpg

Reactions: mikemod
Looks good, I hear a clunk sometimes before it stops as if the spring is stuck.
Was it easy to get the mirror off as I would rather give it a go myself than leave it in the dealers?

Looks good, I hear a clunk sometimes before it stops as if the spring is stuck.
Was it easy to get the mirror off as I would rather give it a go myself than leave it in the dealers?

Yeah if you have some prying tools or use a flat head screwdriver with a cloth over the end and work your way around the mirror you’ll gradually unclip it away. Just don’t force anything and always keep your hand over the glass and press slightly into the mirror whilst prying away to keep a constant pressure.

Looks like it has changed on the 8V, can't see the spring as it seems to be enclosed in plastic, may have to remove the cover.

Mirror

Removed with a sucker in the end as it didn't seemed to want to lever off, got this from ElsaWin.

Sucker

I gave up in the end as the next stage was going in from the inside of the door and according to the workshop manual it involves removing the door glass to get at the mechanism.
I'll let the dealer sort it out.

That’s annoying. What about removing mirror cap at the back? Would that not expose the spring?

Even with the cover off the whole mechanism now seems contained in the black mount that bolts to the door.
Thanks for the help anyway.

Reactions: JayA3sline