folding mirrors

folding mirrors yes/no

• necessary

Votes: 65 70.7%
  • not needed as not always used

Votes: 27 29.3%

• Total voters
yeh same here 2 stupid 2m wide garages designed for a1 sized cars and nothing else

it baffles me why builders don't make single garages that fit an average sized car like the a3 and made after 2000. instead garages are designed for a small car made in the 1970s!!

A larger garage will take up more room (talk about stating the bleeding obvious!), which means they can squeeze less boxes on each bit of land... and most folk don't even try and either fill the garage with junk or convert it into another, rather narrow, room.

I'm just about to build a new garage for my one car - 6m x 7m - I think I'll be able to open the doors OK :thumbsup:

Love my folding mirrors.

Do love it on start up with the screen coming out the dash and the mirrors unfolding. Makes it feel slightly more special than my daily driver.

Thanks, spoke to the dealer today and added the Electrically Folding Mirrors, no difference to the expected delivery date. :)

There is no poll... But I'd say no to them. I'd rather someone hit my wing mirror which is easily replaceable than taking out the whole door

I don't know what they'd cost to replace, but last time it happened to me the bill was £175, and that was just on a golf! I'd rather fold the mirrors in when there is a propensity for some **** head to clonk my mirror off when parked. As to taking out the whole door, I don't think so somehow! I'd say that's rather unlikely to happen to a parked car - but having a mirror dinged when parked is pretty common these days, what with all the idiots who still drive around talking or texting into their mobiles - so YES, IMO definitely worth having!

I specced them and glad i did.

1. Provides confirmation car is locked from a distance
2. parking on a main road you feel a bit better that some numpty who doesn't know how wide their car is will hit them.
3. dipped mirror on reverse can help to not kerb wheels
4. looks cool when you put the key in and turn, mirrors unfold and screen pops up
5. :sm4:
should be standard on the S3 really.

The mirrors don't provide confirmation that the car is locked, they just provide confirmation that you did lock it at some point. If you then unlock it again, they won't unfold!

Reactions: veeeight and phil1824
^ Correct !

Also - if you close the tailgate, but not quite latch it completely, the car will lock, mirrors fold.
But the tailgate won't be latched in the fully locked position, just the first latch.

The Golf Mk.7 has a slightly different implementation of the folding/unfolding mirrors.
It will fold on remote lock (as the S3) - but will un-fold on the remote unlock (thereby giving visual confirmation that the car is unlocked).

The other slight inconvenience of un-folding on ignition (as opposed to remote fob), is, very often I like to hear the car prime and start up - if often gives me an early indication of something amiss. It's difficult to hear the priming when both mirrors are whirring away when you put the ignition on.

Don't think so.

With the Golf, the implementation was as S3, until BW45/13, then all cars from then unfolded on unlock. It was a change to the hardware itself.

Not been tried or tested yet on S3.