Folding Mirror Problems

stevieboy

Reaction score
Anyone had any problems with their electric door mirrors not folding all the way back out?

My drivers door mirror has been on a go slow today. Only folded half way out first, managed to make it OK by folding back in again and then out.

Second time it wouldn't fold all the way out for love nor money. 'Persuaded' it out gently by hand whilst operating the switch.

My cars only 6 weeks old with less than 3k on the clock.

Had this problem on my Vauxhall Vomit but that was the least of the problems.

Kinda expected better from the Audi!

Is this common???

yep, it happened on my nearside mirror a couple of times, all I do is fold them back in and repeat the process, that normally solves the problem. If it keeps it up, I'll check it into the dealers for a bit of remedial work, and a free wash!

My driver's mirror is always slower to go in and out than the passenger one!!!!!

Presumably because the current has to travel further from the battery!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I do find it annoying that they won't fold in at speed though, sometimes it would be useful.

Driver's is definitely slower than passenger's both folding in and out. I was hoping that they would fold in whilst on the move too, as I often drive through width restriction barriers, but they don't seem to. Just have to watch what I am doing I suppose! No problems with sticking but only done 1000 miles so far....

I've always wondered whether the paintwork on the mirror surface would scratch over time if some grit got in the bit that rotates?

The problem with the driver's side being slower is a know fault, and you can get a replacement mirror machanism (maybe the whole unit?) at your local dealer for nothing!

Yep my drivers mirror is also slower but I haven't had any problems with them yet (only had the car just over a week).

RobB - I'm sure I did get them to fold whilst on the move though - will try again later today.

They will fold out whilst moving at speed but don't appear to fold in at speed.

Would they really replace the mirror mechanism because it is a tad slower???

If it is a known problem, why haven't they rectified it at the factory on the cars people have been delivered recently - like missm who has had his car a week!????

If they don't fold all the way in you need to get the regulator replaced, which means basically taking the top part of the door off. I had mine done just after picking it up from new. takes about 3 hours for a stealer to do.

My drivers side is now slowing down and is getting very annoying. I'll be bring that up with the stealer when im in next.

[ QUOTE ]
If they don't fold all the way in you need to get the regulator replaced

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, how far is all the way in? Must admit I thought they would fold in further than they do.

Nooo! Had my car for just a couple of weeks and I've just this morning noticed this very problem!

Noticed my drivers mirror wasn't giving me the correct rear-view, thought it was the mirror that was out of adjustment, then noticed the whole mirror hadn't opened out properly from being folded. Had to help it on its way manually.

Very disappointed, something like this is so simple how can it possibly go wrong, let alone remain a known fault!!

Will definately be going back to the dealer about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Just called into the dealer on my way home from work. Explained the folding mirror problems. He said he didn't know of any known issues but they'd be happy to investigate.

He managed to get it booked in tomorrow, as long as I was happy driving his own Allroad for the day as there were no loaners left! Said I'd just about manage....

I'll let you all know how I get on and I'll quiz the bloke for some more info on the problem when I drop my car off.

I take it back... they don't fold when on the move! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stevieboy - I'd be interested if you could ask your dealer if they'd have changed the mirror if the only 'fault' was that the driver's mirror was slower to fold\unfold.

Cheers.

My drivers side used to stick half way out, now it's just very slow in and out. Mentioned it at service and they said:

"Not seen that before, so we've contacted Audi and there have been no other similar reported problems on the A3, so they'll keep a note of it and if any fixes come up we'll let you know"

Lying B*******s.

OK Guy's - Todays Events.

Not much to report really.

Dropped the car off - picked up a different loaner to the one they'd promised - A4 Avant 2.0 TDi S-Line - Nice motor! Manual though and my dodgy left knee is still complaining...!

Apparently the electric motor that drives the mirror in and out is faulty and it will have to be replaced. They didn't have the parts in stock so I'll have to wait until next Wednesday to get it fully sorted. Personally I'd expect the motor to either work, pack up completely or pull so much current in trying to work that it pops a fuse.

On quizzing the guy he said that although it wasn't a 'common' problem he had seen it before (how many times he wasn't saying..!).

Can't complain really. Only went in yesterday pm, looked at today, loan car provided, washed on pick up - not bad in my opinion.

Did have a dirty great self tapper in the tyre as I pulled off the forecourt though. Took it back in and they threw it up on the ramp and removed it. Hadn't punctured they tyre fortunately but I'll be keeping an eye on it. Might take them a new broom for the workshop when I visit to get the mirror motor replaced!

See what next week brings.

Adios Amigo's.

CDB2 - didn't see your question till just - will ask next week when I go back for the fix.

I have to add that this morning prior to taking it to the dealer the mirror worked OK. So even though this fault appears to be 'intermittent' they've still offered to replace the drive motor without any real pushing on my behalf. This leads me to believe that it's probably a common problem / known fault and they just change the required parts as deemed fit by a technical bulletin or something issued by Audi (?).

****** me if I didn't pop into dealer today about my sticking drivers mirror, and not ONCE did it go wrong. Typical!

I've been told today that the parts to rectify the folding mirror problems are on back order from Audi so I'll have to wait a while longer.

The cynic in me thinks that the delay is due to high demand.......

Dealer also stated that cases with a slow operation are 'judged on merit'.... make of that what you will!

Nice one steve, let us know how you get on.

Just one more thing, be interested to know whether your guy at the dealers thinks a slower driver's mirror will develop into more of a prob later. I can perhaps put up with it being slower, if however it means it will go wrong later though I'd like it changed.

I'll ask him. He'll gladly give out information but he doesn't always answer the question. I think the word is 'cagey'.

Something else occured to me today....

If the motor was faulty, surely the mirror would play up folding in as well as out! As far as I am aware everyone has faults with the mirror folding out - either slowly or not all the way.

Also, today in the pi$$ing rain, it's performed faultlessly (won't tell the dealer - they can change it now they've ordered the parts)

Lubrication problem lurking perhaps....??