Folding door mirrors

Fctaff

Reaction score
sorry I'm going to have a million questions, reading all the manuals is blowing my mind.

I live in a country lane, electric folding mirrors are not a luxury to us, You have it or you lose them.

Mine will not fold in unless I stop, is this true for everyone or am I missing something.

Mine fold at very slow speed. Haven't tried them at high speed.........but I'm not going to either !

Thanks I'll give it a try going slower

I have it set it through the mmi so the mirrors fold in once I lock the car

It seems I have to come to a stop for mine, pretty silly if you ask me.

Because I live in a country lane, if you do not fold them in some plonka will knock them off. So it means I have to stop, holding up traffic while I fold my mirrors in.

Because I live in a country lane, if you do not fold them in some plonka will knock them off. So it means I have to stop, holding up traffic while I fold my mirrors in.
Ahhhhh right I see. I thought you meant you parked your car in a narrow country lane.

No people can't drive so drive with a wheel on my side, lost count of how many mirrors I have found in my hedge.

Is your request predominantly for one mirror, or for both?
There are only two wires for the motor to drive the folding mechanism, so you could fit a reversing relay to swap those two wires, with the relay driven by a button that you can press at any speed.
Relay needs to be a DPDT (Dual Pole, Dual Throw), to cross the green/yellow wires when triggered. And if it is just the driver's door, you can avoid running the wires out of the door to get the "simple" benefit you want.
If you put the motor on the common (as you'd expect) even if the driver circuit is not active above x MPH, you could provide your own drive signals for the motor on the NO (Normally Open) pins of the relay.
The lack of signal lines from the motor shows that it has its own End-of-travel (EOT) switches, so will no longer take power once it has reached EOT, and so the motor is clever enough to need no sophisticated external electronics..
And using a relay means you will not need a high power source to drive the relay; if you also have to provide a power source for the motor, that may be a bit different.
HTH,
Anon

In fact, if I find my door controllers are not clever enough to drive the folding mirrors, I shall be installing this for my mirror controll anyway (with a switch, not a button)

If Ford and Jaguar can have a button that folds the mirrors at any speed why not Audi, turning the knob and waiting till you have stopped takes too long down country lanes.

Asked my Audi dealer what I needed to convert my mirrors, and they have over-spec'd the replacement to include memory but not dimming. Means I doubt their choice of controllers, which they have converged to a choice of three.

I can convert MJ2010 to MY2010, but struggle with "D A 03.11.2008>> A MJ2010", followed by "D Y 03.11.2008>> Y MJ2010", followed by "D N 01.09.2008>> N MJ2010". Can anyone help decode?
Since they told me they couldn't do the conversion, and as soon as my car sees their SVM, it'll forget it had the mirrors. (good thing I have VCDS ;)), I suspect the job will be easier than they have darkly described, but it still takes so much research, even if the access to one of the best source of info (via the dealer) proves unreliable.

[\RANT] and breathe

Last edited: