1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fog light - condensation - remove and fix or replace?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by munchkincoupe, Nov 19, 2011.

1. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

I've got a 2004 3dr 2.0tdi sport and I've got moisture / condensation in both of my front fog lights. Do I just replace them or will it happen again? Can I remove mine and clean them up and re-seal them? If it is best to just replace them does anyone have the part number and/or which other models of A3 or Audi cars will have the exact same fog light units so that I can trawl some breakers

Thanks for any help

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. cloughy

cloughy Member

what about leaving them on for a while? that normally works for me, or does it keep coming back?

4. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

TBH, they will just do it again for what ever reason they did it in the 1st place. You could remove & try to find why leaking just in case its a misplaced seal.

5. mike foster

mike foster Fossie
    VCDS Map User

Khufu is right - it just happens for whatever reason ! When mine did it first time I spent ages dismantling the unit , drying out with a hairdryer, re-sealing the lens etc. etc. and it still happens.

Just have to live with it I'm afraid but it doesn't affect the performance of the light.

6. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

Thanks fellas - that saves me a job then :)

It does dissipate when light is on

7. Nigel Audi A3 Man

Nigel Audi A3 Man New Member

My 2011 Audi A3 S Line Black Edition suffered severe condensation in the front fog lights. So I carefull removed the black plastic grill that surrounds each foglight as advised by the owners handbook. To remove the black plastic grill push a flat plastic card between the black plastic trim and the bumper on the bottom edge at the same time as pulling the black plastic trim upwards and outwards, working from the centre front towards the wheels. Once removed you will see 2 torque screws holding the fog light to the bumber. Remove these screws and disconnect lead to the bulb holder. Then remove bulb, and place foglight in oven 110º Centigrade. Over a couple of hours the foglight will dry. I then used 2 cotton wool buds taped together and poked this through the bulb hole to clean watermarks left on inside of foglight lens. When cleaned, I reinserted bulb and refitted back to car having reconnected plug to light bulb holder, and refitted torque screws and refitted black plastic fog light trim.

8. Soot1

Soot1 Well-Known Member
    Team Silver

You could do as above but the chances are condensation will come back in the humid weather we have this time of year. There is also a drain tube at the bottom of the foglight which is supposed to let moisture out and air in, check this not blocked, ream it out with some stout wire. Also I have condensation in the head light unit occasionally. It evens mentions this in the Owners Manual and says the heat of the lights will dissipate any condensation. Too many other things to worry about imho.

9. audismart

audismart YOU ARE JUDGED BY THE CAR YOU DRIVE.

Had same problem on my S-Line removed cleaned checked drain hole as mentioned, wiped out inside with onesheet that soaked all moisture inside and got a 2nd one and left it in there for a couple of ours near a heater, that was 2 years ago and its been fine since.

10. Bazzle

Bazzle Active Member

[QUOTE="Nigel Audi A3 Man, , Then remove bulb, and place foglight in oven 110º Centigrade. .[/QUOTE]

40 to 60c is hot enough. I just do jobs like this by placing on my tv or amp for an hour or so.

11. Matt268uk

Matt268uk A3 Sportback
    VCDS Map User Team Phantom Audi A3

I've just done this on my A3 last week,dismantled everything, dried them out really well,gave them a good clean and put it all back together,within a couple of days they were all misted up again with condensation. They do have little breather type pipes on them, i'm guessing to prevent fogging up. so now i'm just going to wait for the warmer weather to arrive.